Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Becoming mommy

or, "How I Lost My Eyelashes..."

When I got pregnant, I (naively) thought my physical transformation into mommy-hood would be blamed on the pregnancy itself. As I watched my body change, my belly grow, I knew I’d never be the same.

I was prepared for the saggy, wrinkled extra skin left behind from my beach-ball belly. I had braced myself for the expansion and ultimate deflation of my breasts. I had adjusted to the excess body hair that sprouted on my stomach, my butt, my legs…my everywhere. But what I wasn’t prepared for is (what I like to call) the slow “mommyfication” that happens well beyond when you deliver the baby.

First came the sleep deprivation that created craters where my eyes used to be that even the best cover-up couldn’t hide. And, let’s face it, who has the time to put on cover-up most days anyway? Then came the wardrobe woes created by the fact that my body just isn’t the same shape it was pre-pregnancy, exacerbated by my cheap self that doesn’t want to buy a whole new wardrobe. I’ll confess that I still have one or two maternity items hanging around in my closet for days when I just can’t. pull. it. together.

With “solid” foods arrived lovely streaks of orange and green that accessorize most of my outfits as I became a human napkin. All this was topped off by the “mom hair” – the ever-practical, short haircut that I swore I’d never succumb to. (And it’s accompanied by all the usual defenses, “It really does make more sense, though.” And, “it’s so much easier to care for, and far less hazardous to my mental health since I’ve been blessed with a little hair-puller.”)

Each of these small steps has chipped away at my former self for the past nine months. One small sacrifice at a time – I now believe – is how we really become mommies, at least on the outside.

But this new development…this is too much.

Little Spaghetti’s love of hair – pulling, twisting, sucking – has gone too far. Even with short hair, the kid would tangle his fingers deep in my once-lovely locks, burrowing his little fist deep next to my scalp as he nursed or fell asleep. Then, a few days ago, he decided my hair wasn’t enough. Now, he has to rub my eyelashes. My EYELASHES!

When we go to bed at night, he rests next to me, and with as much gentleness as a nine-month old can muster, uses his pointer finger to stroke my eyelashes as he drifts off into sleep. Beside the fact that this isn’t exactly a relaxing way for *me* to fall asleep, he has a tendency to poke me in the eye. Not on purpose, but it hurts nonetheless.

Each day when I wake up, I find no less than eight eyelashes attached to his little footie pajamas. They just don’t have the strength to withstand this new obsession. I fear I may soon become eyelash-less. And let’s be honest, no amount of mascara will fix that new mommy trait.


Update: see my solution here.

27 comments:

  1. Too funny! I love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love it. And I so feel you. Sometimes, I don't recognize myself in the mirror

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...what a sweet moment, though...to be snuggled up making contact with his mama. And I'm sure it's not comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest was a hair-twirler, too... but never eyelashes, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stopping by through comment hour. Loved the description of becoming a mommy. I'm not sure I'd do well with someone rubbing my eye lashes:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also?

    I want a mustache on a stick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping in from comment hour! Congrats on your feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Babies sure do some funny and weird things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely and enduring post about motherhood. Gosh darn it. I should have been a mom. (regrets) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, sorry about your eyelashes. I can't help thinking, though, how I would still love to be a mom. My husband and I aren't planning to have one yet, but I do love babies and would love some of my own. Here from the Comment Hour. Love that moustache! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - sorry to laugh, but I can totally see him brushing your eyelashes with his unsteady little finger and poking you in the eye repeatedly. Sooo not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL... if teenage girls would only read this we may have less teenage pregnancies! So true! My son loves to poke his finger in my ear when he is sleeping in my bed! He is past the hair twirling though. Sorry to say the sleepless nights go on for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post! I am a stay at home mama to two little boys and I know all about the body changing and the maternity clothes still in your closest..and the hair pulling my hair is in a bun constantly! your not alone! my kiddlets don't pull my eyelashes out but I do because Im over tired and its just out of habit. mommyhood is a journey thats for sure! the best advice I have had is "it doesn't get easier, it just gets different" and I live by that now!
    Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It cracks me up the strange habits babies pick up! I hope you save your eyes from the dangers of your son! haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh!!! My middle child loved to rub this little scar I have on my arm - and it drove me crazy. My youngest is a hair twirler and the knots were horrible. I don't think I could handle the eyelash thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! Thanks for sharing the story! Thankfully after 3 kids ... none of mine were into eyelashes! It's a phase and it will pass. You will, once again, have eye lashes! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HaHa!

    Enjoy your MommyHood!

    Visiting from the SITS Tweet Party #CommentHour!

    Blessings,
    Toqua
    http://ToquasCrafts.blogspot.com

    http://toquascrafts.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-02-22T13%3A56%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

    ReplyDelete
  18. aww sometimes i think it there was a "handbook" that we read before we had kids with all the what if's and what happens when... happens... then hmmm maybe we would have them? ya think? nahhh love the little buggers! this comes from a mom of an almost 23 year old and special needs 19 year old... soooo been there done that and ya know... knowing it or not... i'd do it ALL over again! and i'm betting so would U! stopping over from last nights #commenthour
    *waving,
    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  19. There has to be a line somewhere for the things we WON"T sacrifice to our children. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want to say welcome to everyone, and thanks so much for your comments. I can't wait to get to know more of you!

    @Heather: thanks so much! I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    @Kristen: boy do I know how that feels. Sometimes what I seen the mirror is not at all what I was expecting to see!

    @Kimberly: you're right; for all the trouble, it's all worth it!

    @CounselorMusings, Savannah, Karen, and AustinGirl, and Toqua: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

    @Shannon: Thanks! :) I'm happy to share my mustache with you any time, lol.

    @TheReasonYouCome: When the time comes, I know you'll love being a mom. But until then, enjoy your independence & your hubby (and your eyelashes!)

    @TRR: It's ok, you're definitely laughing with me on this one.

    @Caren and Shelley: I do wonder if people REALLY knew what they were getting into if they'd ever have kids. But then I know I'd do it all again (I already know I want at least one more) because for all the downs, there are twice as many ups!

    @Jenae: Glad there's another eyelashless mommy out there! :) I think I may adopt that motto: It doesn't get easier, just different! I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    @Heather and RoLittle: glad to hear there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

    @Lanita: there must be a line, haha! But I think sleep deprivation and stir craziness blurs that line sometimes!

    Whew! Thanks again everyone! I hope to see more of you all!

    ReplyDelete