Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Is it the sheets?

Sleep is often a sore subject in my house (see The Sleep Chronicles).

But I'm making an effort to transition Little Spaghetti into other sleeping arrangements. I have fully prepared myself that it may be a long, slow process. Success will be measured in teensy tiny increments.

Step one: get Little Spaghetti to spend any length of time at the beginning of the night in the beautiful co-sleeper crib attached to the side of the bed instead of in the bed itself.

So I gave it a try last night. We took a bath, read stories, nursed, and rocked. He drifted gently off to sleep. So I tiptoed into my room and tried to set him gently into his cosleeper. As soon as his head hit the mattress, his eyes popped open and he was not having any of it.

I picked him up and set him on the bed...and he drifted right back off to sleep all on his own.

I picked him up and put him in the cosleeper...he was instantly awake and crying.

Put him back on the bed...right back to sleep.

I'm baffled. It isn't that I'm not laying there right next to him (because I don't do that when I put him on the bed). It isn't that he isn't fully asleep or can't put himself back to sleep if he wakes up (as he does when I set him on the bed). But he knows that he's not in the bed the second I put him somewhere that isn't the bed. All I can figure is that it's the sheets.

You know, the beautiful, handmade-by-his-grandmother sheets for which I spent a fortune on fabric...

5 comments: