Monday, February 28, 2011

If I were abducted by martians...

Sometimes the world of motherhood may seem like living on another planet: Encountering gooey foreign substances (like dried carrot puree or crystallized juice globs) while navigating a landscape filled with brightly colored, big-eyed plastic toy obstacles.  Using devices with other-worldly-sounding names like "Bjorn," "Stokke," and "Aquaphor."  Trying to interpret a martian language of "ba ba ba" and "ma ma ma" to decipher the needs of the two-foot tall inhabitants of this strange world. 

But I imagine it's nothing like ACTUALLY being in a galaxy far, far away...or being on Mars, for that matter. Disney's new movie Mars Needs Moms looks like a lot of fun, and would probably be a tad bit more challenging than just being a mom on earth.

So here are the top ten things I think my son would miss if I went to Mars:

1. Music Class: Little Spaghetti and I attend a “Mommy and Me” music class every Thursday, and he has so much fun.  I think he’d really miss getting groovy and dancing with mom.

2. Clean Clothes: I may not be the world’s best housekeeper, but laundry is one thing I can say I rock.  Besides, my husband isn’t so into doing the laundry, so without me, I fear my baby’s wardrobe would consist of diapers and…diapers!

3. Hair: Little Spaghetti finds twirling my hair to be very soothing for some reason.  In fact, some nights that’s all he wants to do to put himself to sleep.  Without mom, whose hair would he have to pull on?

4. Splashing in the tub:  Now, I know he doesn’t technically *need* me to have fun in the bath.  He likes it plenty all on his own, but I sure to make it more enjoyable.  Nobody else knows just what voices the dolphin and the crab use when they have surfing competitions or how to create a plastic turtle fountain.

5. Jam sessions in the car:  My husband’s skills may rival my own when it comes to rocking out in the car, but he doesn’t have the same taste in music as Little Spaghetti.  Me on the other hand, it doesn’t matter if I’m singing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” or “Pop Goes the Weasel,” I do it with gusto!  And judging by his laughs and giggles, I’d say my little man enjoys the entertainment.

6. Playing hide and seek in the grocery store:  I have to find ways to spice up everyday tasks.  There’s nothing more “everyday” than grocery shopping. Lately, while Little Spaghetti sits in the seat of the basket, I will occasionally creep around the side or the front of the basket then pop up and surprise him.  He loves the game, and it keeps him interested while I gather our milk, eggs, and other necessary supplies to run a household.

7. "Sleeping in:"  And by sleeping in, I mean waking up early and snuggling in bed.  Little Spaghetti seems to enjoy these early morning cuddles.  Also, he recently discovered that the comforter on the bed makes a neat tent!

8. Homemade treasures: I love crafting, and ever since I found out I was pregnant, the recipient of many of my handmade labors is my son.  I like to tell myself that someday he'll appreciate the abundance of tiny knit hats.

9. Weekly sandwich dates: Every week I take Little Spaghetti out for sandwiches and soup at our favorite local deli.  I'm beginning to think he likes the broccoli cheese soup more than I do.

10. Mommy kisses:  I must give him no less than a hundred smooches and hugs each day, and even if he can't say, "I love you" back, I know he'd miss all that love without me around.

I'm beginning to learn that it's the little things in life that make a mom special.  As alien as the world of mommy-hood may sometimes seem to me, I wouldn't give it up.  Even for a trip to Mars.

Aboout Mars Needs Moms:  "Take out the trash, eat your broccoli—who needs moms, anyway? Nine-year-old Milo (Seth Green) finds out just how much he needs his mom (Joan Cusack) when she’s nabbed by Martians who plan to steal her mom-ness for their own young. Produced by the team behind “Disney’s A Christmas Carol” and “The Polar Express,” “Mars Needs Moms” showcases Milo’s quest to save his mom—a wild adventure in Disney Digital 3D™ and IMAX® 3D that involves stowing away on a spaceship, navigating an elaborate, multi-level planet and taking on the alien nation and their leader (Mindy Sterling). With the help of a tech-savvy, underground earthman named Gribble (Dan Fogler) and a rebel Martian girl called Ki (Elisabeth Harnois), Milo just might find his way back to his mom—in more ways than one.

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms blogging program, for a gift card worth $25. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”

3 comments: