Monday, March 21, 2011

Blame the bodily functions

When I became a mother, I quickly learned that there is one thing that people never question: going to the bathroom.

When I ask someone to watch the baby for a second so I can check my email, the reply is often, "I will in a little while, just not right now.  I'm busy."

When I ask someone to sit and play with the baby for a bit so I can get dinner started, I'm not surprised to hear, "Can't you just bring him in the kitchen with you?"

When I ask someone to hold the baby so I can get make myself a snack, I'm usually fairly certain I'll be met with, "I'll do it when I'm done.  Just give me fifteen more minutes."

But when I say, "Hey, take the baby for a little while.  I have to go to the bathroom."  You know what?  Nobody ever argues.  Not once.  "Sure," or "of course," they say.

And so, I confess to you today that sometimes when I just need a little break, a little "me time," I sometimes lie.  And say I have to go to the bathroom.

Thank goodness for laptops, that's all I have to say.  I never thought I'd find the bathroom floor so comfortable.  I never thought I'd think of my bathroom as my respite, my spa away from the spa.

Do you think anyone would get suspicious if I moved a comfy chair in my bathroom?

What about you? What do you do to get away from the craziness?

11 comments:

  1. roflol... guilty i've run off with my netbook and sat in the bathroom. ;)

    but my bath time seems to be my quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha - that is hilarious! If it works keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that is awesome! I have never thought of doing that...and I think having a comfy chair in your bathroom would be AMazing!
    my me time is usually my room I will leave kiddlets running around the rest of the house and just take a little break in there...unless they have a nap at the same time its sitting at the table with my laptop!
    Loved this post! love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've totally hidden in the bathroom to eat chocolate in peace. It gets harder when the kids get mobile and follow you to into the bathroom, but it can still work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Adriana and K - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

    @Jenae - Your "me time" sounds a little more relaxing than mine. Hopefully Little Spaghetti will start taking longer/reliable naps soon. And thanks! I've been really enjoying your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so funny! I never thought to hide in the bathroom. Duh. Bet that I'll be spending lots of time in there now.

    Best,
    Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Emily: Welcome! Looking forward to checking out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love this post! I do this as well and let's just say... I have three stars in all levels of Angry Birds lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mary: I am so jealous! Three stars?!?! You totally rock my Angry Birds skills!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO, I am SOO using this one. I don't know why I never thought of it LOL.. Thanks for stopping by my site, I too am now a follower, and love your site! =)

    ReplyDelete