Sunday, March 6, 2011

DIY: Balloon Wreath; Step by Step

My little man is turning one in just over a month, and I've been working hard to plan his first birthday bash.  I love throwing parties, and this one is so special to me.

While I love parties, I don't love spending a ton of money on something that goes by in a flash.  So, I'm taking on quite a few DIY craft projects to pull together a (hopefully) amazing party on a fairly small budget. Over the next few weeks, I hope to share lots of my projects with you.

The first project is a Balloon Wreath.  Balloons scream "birthday" to me, so when I saw this on How Does She?, I decided I had to give it a try.  I made a few changes as I went along, so here's my step-by-step.

1.  Gather your supplies: 
  • A straw wreath (sorry, I didn't get a picture, but you can see it below).  Keep the plastic wrap on.
  • Balloons in whatever color you choose.  I really like the multicolored wreaths, but I chose to use my the theme colors
  • Floral pins (Walmart sells packs of 100 for $1 in the floral/crafts section).

2.  Stick your balloon(s) between the prongs of the floral pin.  You could stick the pin through your balloons, but I couldn't bring myself to put holes in all those perfectly good balloons.  The directions I was using said to use one pin and one balloon, but I decided to group three balloons - one of each color - and stick them all on with one pin.  That way, I was sure to distribute the colors evenly, and I used 1/3 as many pins.  I made sure not to face all the balloons the same way, so I didn't have all three tops or all three tails in one place. 

I liked doing it this way because it gave the wreath a very "full" look.

3.  Push your pin all the way into the wreath, securing the balloon(s) tightly.  And repeat...

I started out in one spot, pinning the balloons in a group.  Then I got worried that I might use up all my balloons and not cover the whole wreath.  So I started pinning a small grouping of balloons across the wreath from where I'd started, then another grouping  half way between each of the first two groups, essentially breaking the wreath into fourths.  I continued this strategy of filling in evenly in sections to make sure I had enough balloons to go around.
 Here you can see my first four groups.  The largest one was the one I started with before switching my strategy.

Here it is as I continue filling in. I tried to make sure I pinned the balloons in a way that they covered the straw parts of the wreath on the edges, so you can't see the straw when the wreath is hanging.  

4.  That's it! All in all, I used about 220 balloons, and it took about 45 minutes to put it together.  Pretty dang simple.  And hard to screw up, which I like in a craft project.
I'm really happy with how it came out, and I can't wait to hang it at Little Spaghetti's birthday party.

10 comments:

  1. This is really cute and could be used in many different color combinations for many different holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was so fun and easy to make. I want to make another one...I was thinking about doing pastels for an Eater wreath, but I gotta get my butt moving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read a ton of directions on making a wreath like this and your is by far the best. Even the pins at Walmart suggestion is great. They are alot more at michaels. I've got the supplies and I'm going to make it with your three balloons to one pin idea. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete