Thursday, March 17, 2011

The first birthday is rapidly approaching...and my "supermommy cape!"

I've been a busy girl!  I want to share with you a couple of my recent projects, but before that, I suppose I should let you in on a little secret: the theme for Little Spaghett's first birthday party.

Here's your clue/the color scheme (the paper lanterns I bought to decorate with).  Can you guess??


Drum roll, please?

Sock Monkeys!

Sock monkeys remind me of simpler times.  Little Spaghetti has a sock monkey that I sewed with my mom when I was ten or eleven.  If you're a certain naysayer in my life (who shall remain unnamed), sock monkeys are ugly toys that only poor kids play with, and you're horrified that I would choose them as the theme for my son's birthday.  (Yes, someone in my life truly said those words to me).

Lucky for me, I fall into the category of people that think sock monkeys are "cute and vintage" instead of "appalling and destitute."

Now, onto the projects:

First, I'm a sucker for aprons.  They're like a supermom's cape (you know, like a superhero...just backwards).

So, I sewed this little beauty from Sew Liberated's Emmeline pattern that I plan to wear for the party:



 

 Look at all those cute little monkeys!

 I love how it turned out.

Next, I crocheted this cute little sock monkey hat using a combination of a pattern I bought on Etsy and this pattern that I found for free online.  I ended up liking the hat body from the free pattern, but I used the ears from the Etsy pattern.



(I know, I know.  I'm sorry for reusing the same photo you've already seen!  Sadly, Little Spaghetti isn't really that interested in wearing this hat I labored over, so getting a photo of him in it is like pulling teeth).

There you have it!  More to come, for sure.

Oh, by the way, the Emmeline apron is reversible, so here's the back.  I can't wait to wear this around my kitchen post-birthday.  It was a super easy pattern to follow, and I'm a serious novice when it comes to sewing.


7 comments:

  1. My hubby LOVES sock monkeys! That hat is too adorable. He would swoon over having our (future ... very future) kid in one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sock monkeys are SO cute! I never had one as a youngster (and we were definately a poor family). They are incredibly popular right now (hence why you were able to get that wonderfully cute sock monkey material!) Have a wonderful birthday party!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous of the craftiness. I love the hat and apron.

    My little man's about to turn 4 - we're doing it up Batman style by special request.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sara - Glad to find a fellow sock monkey lover! Your husband is a good man!

    @Toqua - Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the party. I was so happy to find the sock monkey material. I went to so many different store, and they were all sold out. But I tracked it down!

    @Adriana - Thanks!

    @K - Batman sounds so fun! I figured I needed to get the themes I liked out of the way (like sock monkeys) before my little one is old enough to express his own desires, lol. Though I'm looking forward to the days when he is as excited about his birthday as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your projects!! Wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Unglamorous Mommy - Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete