Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Giving it up...finally!

I have a very bad habit.  I drink soda.  Specifically Coke or Pepsi. And I drink it a lot.  I drink so much of it that it doesn't even taste good to me anymore, but I drink it anyway.  You might say I have a problem.

I didn't drink any soda while I was pregnant, but after I had the baby, I started to treat myself to a soda when we went out to eat.  Then, I'd buy the occasional bottle to have at home.  Now, I drink it more days than not (though still not EVERY day). 

I've wanted to stop.  I've even *tried* to stop. But somewhere between the lack of sleep and the addictiveness of that sweet sugary syrup, I just haven't had the will power.

Today, though, is Ash Wednesday.  Which means Lent.  Which means "giving something up."  And for me, that something this year will be soda.

I'm doing it for me and for my health, but more importantly, I'm doing it for my baby.  I want to set a good example, and I don't want to be a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do parent.

Wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. I was able to drastically cut back on soda when I gave it up for lent several years ago... I gave up red meat once and now I am an even bigger carnivore because of the experience lol sigh

    Your blog is so cute! Thanks for finding me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up soda for lent one year. Sad to say that I drank it as soon as Easter rolled around. It tasted different. Good luck with giving it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mry - Lol about the red meat, though. That one would be so hard for me! And thanks :) I'm really enjoying your blog, too!

    @Unglamorous Mommy - I hope I'm able to keep it up after Lent, but at least this is a start. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa!! Cut out the soda - you will feel so much better for it. Even your skin will improve - good luck! And thank your for dropping by and commenting on my blog for #sits #commenthour
    Look forward to your future posts!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I gave soda up a few years ago (now I have one or two a month). I found it was much easier to maintain a healthy weight without it. I can get away with a few cookies a day, but not a soda for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Shaynna - thank you! I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    @K - thanks for the encouragement. It's good to hear success stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and me both! Since I don't drink that much, I am throwing in gummy candy as well!

    following you from the twitter pary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Katy: Good luck to you, too! I'm a sucker for gummy candy!

    Welcome. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I can't even imagine not drinking soda lol. It would be like, I don't know, amputating my right hand lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Bella: It has been so much tougher than I thought it would be. I'm only three days in, and I'm craving a soda SO MUCH! I'm hoping that the first week is the worst!

    ReplyDelete