Friday, March 11, 2011

Thoughts on working (and my mom jewelry)

I have a job.  And  I’m not talking about the smiling, laughing, shouting, little monkey that lives in my house (though some might describe him that way).   I mean a real, go-to-the-office kind of job.
I sometimes have to remind myself of that.  For years, I was convinced that I wanted to be a stay-at-home-mom.  And there are days when I still wish I was.  But the truth is, I think I have the best of both worlds.  I am lucky to have a flexible employer who was willing to work with me after I had Little Spaghetti, so I only work two days a week – plus a few hours from home.  And most of the time, I FEEL like a stay-at-home-mom.

Either way, I have a job.  Sometimes I really like my job, and sometimes I really don't.  I suppose that's how anyone with a job feels, though.  There's one thing for sure, though: my life in the work world means something entirely different to me as a mother than it did before I got pregnant.

For me, the best thing about work, without a doubt, is the continuous blocks of uninterrupted time.  This is something I took for granted  before having a baby, but now it is pure bliss.  Sitting, focusing, completing tasks without hearing a cry or a whine is...beautiful.  Going for eight or nine hours in a row without getting interrupted by a nap cut short or a snack demand that must be filled right now is...amazing.  Though that's not to say I don't get interrupted at work.  They're just different, less shrill interruptions.
 
The thing I like least about work caught me completely off-guard.  As I prepared for maternity leave, the things I dreaded were feeling like I'd hate to leave my baby, feeling worn out at the end of the day and still having to cook/clean/everything else, and feeling like I was missing out on important milestones.

Now, of course, I don't like any of those things, but the thing I like the least is that when I’m at work, I’m not a mom.  Or at least, that’s how it might appear to anyone I meet in a given day.  It’s not like because I gave birth, I was branded “Mom” on my forehead.  Nor would I have wanted that.  But the thought that someone could interact with me – even on several occasions – and not know such a fundamental and important thing about me seems…wrong somehow.
I don’t want to sound like some crazy, obsessed mother that NEEDS everyone to know she has a child.  And I don’t think that being a mother is the ONLY thing that defines me, but it’s odd to be missing such a big part of my life a couple days a week.

This feeling led me to want to have some reminder of Little Spaghetti with me at work, and so I started looking at mom  jewelry.  I found lots of beautiful things, but none were quite right. 

So, I took on the task of making my own.  And, I have to say, I love the results.  A little something called silver clay, a cheap butane torch from a hardware store, and tada! 

The imprints are my little guy's toes.  I love how simple it is, and I love how personal and unique it is.  Most of all, I love that - like motherhood - it isn't "perfect." 

I unfortunately didn't take pictures of the process, but I'm hoping to do another one soon (I'm so paranoid that I'll lose this one that I want to have a back up!), so I will post all the details then.

Do you have mom jewelry that you love?  I love finding new things to buy! 

10 comments:

  1. I'm a part time worker too, but I work entirely from home. Once my baby is old enough for preschool I'll get a few hours of uninterrupted time to focus. I can't wait. I think part time is the best of both worlds. (I'm actually on a long conference call right now - which is why I'm stalking my google reader.)

    Love the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute and unique idea! I'd need a much bigger piece than that for my kids (as I'm a grandma now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! I've thought about getting a piece of mom jewelery but wearing a little figurine with my daughters birthstone around my neck is totally not my style. I love how simple, subtle, yet totally personal your pendant is. Now I have a new project to add to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the toe prints!

    Thanks for linking up to the Tailspin Hop - following you now :)

    ~Darcy @ Tales From the Nursery~
    www.darcyandbrian.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @K: I love the flexibility of part-time work. Though, I have to say, I find working from home to be very tough sometimes! I'm impressed that you're able to do that!

    @Toqua: The beauty is that you can make it whatever size you need to fit your life! Just add more clay!

    @Jessica: I highly recommend this. I'm like you; I just didn't love any of the stuff I saw out there. It was such an easy project, too!

    @Darcy: Welcome and thank you! I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay thanks for Following me!!
    I'm still Intimidated by it all, I have no idea how to use twitter! the other night for comment hour I used tweetchat and my eyes were glued to that screen the whole time I could not keep up! I could only read the blogs afterward so really is was comment 2 hour lol.
    Love your blog! and that mama jewelry you made is soo precious! I need to make something like that with my two kiddlets.
    Have an awesome Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenae: glad I'm not the only one. I don't quite have the hang of Twitter yet, myself. But I'm learning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that necklace!!! Staying home and working outside both have their pros and cons. And honestly, if you put a gun to my head, I'm not sure I could choose which is "better."

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Heather: thanks! I agree; I'm not sure I could pick which one is "better." They are both such different experiences, and each one has its rewards and challenges.

    ReplyDelete