Monday, April 18, 2011

Count to ten before you lose it or...

if you're me, say the alphabet.  I've started doing that lately...for no apparent reason.  But when I'm frustrated, frazzled, tired, or about to lose my cool, I sing the ABC's.  And Little Spaghetti almost always stops whatever he's doing that's making me feel like I'm on the edge of a cliff.  It takes a little longer than counting to ten, but it's worth it to regain my "mommy zen."

This is going to come in particularly helpful in the next couple days because as of last night we've officially started: NIGHT WEANING *insert cruel, maniacal laugh here.*

Since my kid still nurses every two hours throughout the night like a newborn, I decided it was time.  All-in-all, it went ok. We're tired, which is to be expected.  He was a little clingy this morning (ok, a LOT clingy), which is to be expected.  I spent most of the night on a cot or in a rocking chair, which is to be expected.

None of these things would bug me *quite* so much if today weren't my birthday (Hello, Late-Twenties!).  Ah well, once you're a mom, everything changes.  Isn't that right?

So, please excuse my lack of wittiness or cleverness or ability to spell or use grammar correctly  for the next few days.  I'll be getting more sleep soon...I think.

Oh, and did I mention that my "girls" hurt like a mofo today?  Thank you, engorgement.  Happy Birthday to me.

A, B, C, D, E, F, G........

4 comments:

  1. OH happy birthday...weaning is the WORST! hang in there and keep alphabetting...lol! i'm a counter, love counting. but lately, like you, i've changed it up. instead of counting, i simply start chanting "Wonder pets, wonder pets, we're on our way". wow, hate those kid movies we watch way too often. hold tight to your guns (or your not squirting guns) and happy late 20's to you! i'm about to hit early-mid 40's myself (yes, early-mid is acceptable terminology). love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday beautiful lady! Weaning is so difficult, but good for you for sticking with it...I promise it will get better....just in time for potty training, LOL. Motherhood can be such a challenge, but there are more wonderful moments that ABC/Counting to Ten moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the encouragement (and the birthday wishes!)

    @Christy - I seriously laughed at "Wonder pets, wonder pets..." I kind of want to start saying that... And I totally agree that early-mid is acceptable ;)

    @Jules - you're so right about the potty training. And them I'm sure there's ten thousand other challenges that will follow that. But you're right about the wonderful moments, too!

    ReplyDelete