Tuesday, April 5, 2011

DIY: Bean Bag Toss

Until I have time to share with you all the photos and a recap from Little Spaghetti's birthday party this weekend, I'll share a few more projects to tide you over.  Or if you're ready to move on from sock monkeys, you might just want to ignore my blog for a few days.  As long as you promise to come back!

Today, we have a custom bean bag toss I made for the party.

And by bean bags, I mean plastic bananas.  But it would probably work better with bean bags.

Here's how I did it:

Supplies: three foam poster boards, a box cutter, two hinges, a roll of kraft paper (or whatever paper you want to use; wrapping paper could be really cute), string, and masking tape.  I also used (but forgot to take a picture of): super glue, white school glue, clear packing tape, contact paper, and whatever you want to decorate with.

Step 1: Cut three circles of different sizes in one of your poster boards.  You could do more, or less - whatever you like.


Find something around the house to use as a template.  I used the lids from my baking storage jars.

Step 2: Repeat Step one with a second poster board.  Make sure your holes are lined up.

Step 3: Glue your poster boards together.

Step 4: Put masking tape around all the edges of the boards you just glued together to hold them together.

Step 5: Reinforce your holes with masking tape.  I also figured this would help prevent the boards separating later on if people got rough with their banana tossing.

Step 6: Super glue your hinges to one side of the board.  Make sure you don't get super glue in your hinges.  Take your third poster board (the one you haven't used yet) and glue the other side of the hinges to it.  You want the whole thing to open like a big book, so make sure you get it lined up right/super glue your hinges to the correct side of the board.  Wait for your glue to dry.


Step 7: Cover both boards with kraft paper (or whatever paper you're using).  At first, I thought about wrapping the boards with paper and then putting on the hinges, but I decided to put the hinges on BEFORE the kraft paper because I figured they'd be sturdier if they were glued to the board and not just the paper, which could rip.

To go around the hinges, I cut notches in my paper and then wrapped the long paper tails around to the other side of my board. I also "reinforced" the paper around the hinges on all sides with clear packing tape to prevent it from tearing.

I made sure to cover my messy edges with a clean, flat sheet of paper on the sides you would see (the front and back).


Step 8: Cut holes in your paper in line with the holes in your poster board.  I did this funky thing where I cut flaps in the paper inside each circle, then wrapped the paper around and taped it to the back. I did that so that you wouldn't see any "raw" poster board edges, but you could just cut circles in your paper and call it good if you don't mind the raw edges.

Step 9:  You're almost there! I decided at this point to cover the entire front of my board with clear contact paper.  Since we plan on using plastic bananas to toss instead of bean bags, I didn't want the bananas to tear holes in the paper.  If you're using bean bags or something softer, you could skip this step.

Step 10: Decorate!

Step 11: Punch two holes in the front board near the bottom (I used a screwdriver to do this).  Then punch two holes in the back board near the bottom, in line with the holes in the front board.

Stand your board up and decide how you want it to stand.  Once you've got it how you want it, cut two strings the length of the distance between the front and the back board.  This is going to make your board not fall down when it's standing up.

Tie the strings in the holes you punched.


Step 12: Find a cute little baby to play your game, and that's it! You're done!

21 comments:

  1. That's so cute!!
    And I love the last two pictures :)

    Thanks for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, all! It was a lot of fun, and everyone enjoyed it at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute! following back from Have Sippy Will Travel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh this is so stinkin cute!!! i absolutely LOVE it and I'm pretty sure I'll be making it in the next few weeks! ha ha My little guy is VERY into putting any object into any hole! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Samantha: Welcome!

    @Michelle: It was so easy! I totally recommend it. Little Spaghetti is really into putting things in other things, too. Isn't it a funny stage? His other favorite right now is to put toys in empty tissue boxes.

    @Toqua and Unglamorous: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over the years, our children have become less active, and we all tend to spend a little too much time in front of the television or our computers.

    Bean Bag Chairs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I am doing sock monkey for my baby's first bday next month. I love this idea. Did you use a template to cute the monkeys head so perfectly??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I hope the party turns out great!

      For the monkey heads, I used clip-art that I'd purchased on etsy - printed them out on cardstock and cut those out. For the mouth parts, I traced two slightly different sized circles (bowls, coffee cans, etc.) to get them nice and round. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  8. so you printed the monkey heads out on in color on cardstock? not clear on how you did the monkey heads? so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you're exactly right on the monkey heads. I just printed them in color on cardstock, cut them out and glued them on. To make the round mouths, I just printed big colored squared on the cardstock (one tan and one red for each monkey) and then cut circles out of those squares and glued them on. Make sense?

      Delete
  9. How did you do the sock monkey cut outs?

    ReplyDelete