Thursday, April 14, 2011

{Free Printables} Sock Monkey First Birthday

At long last...the birthday recap post!  I will warn you:, there are a ton of pictures here.  I had so much fun putting it together, and I'm excited to share it with you all now.  

I love the big, fancy parties I see on other people's blogs, but I didn't want to spend a fortune.  I did a lot of DIY projects, I baked my own cupcakes (and they didn't turn out too ugly!), I had my husband do our photography (it's not quite professional, but I'm happy with the photos), and I bought a couple big-impact items (like paper lanterns).

I also created all my own "paper goods," which is a bonus for you because now I can offer them to you as free printables to share: there are cupcake toppers, cupcake wrappers, candy buffet signs, food table signs, paper backgrounds, and favor box tags (all in both the red and white stripe pattern and the checkered pattern). Scroll down to the bottom of this (*very* long) post to find the printables. 

 This was the inspiration for the party: a sock monkey I sewed with my mother when I was 10 or 11 years old.  I've now given it to  Little Spaghetti, and he really likes it.
Here's a shot of me and the birthday boy!
 
The hat I crocheted, the DIY fabric-covered birthday hat, and Little Spaghetti's shoes.
Cupcakes I made - half vanilla (recipe) and half chocolate (recipe) with a basic vanilla buttercream frosting.  Scroll down for free cupcake topper printables. 
A few shots of the birthday boy, plus the balloon wreath and a view of the party area.

The candy buffet.  Scroll down for free printable candy buffet signs.
Favor boxes with DIY scrabble magnets and the sign on the candy buffet.
See more about the favor boxes here.

Paper lanterns (from the Paper Lantern Store).
Mason jar drinking glasses with old-fashioned paper straws (from Hey Yo Yo on Etsy).  I love these!  I especially loved the tiny glass I got for Little Spaghetti (in the front).
Red and brown polka dot balloons were a hit with all the kids.  Excuse my diaper-bottomed child playing in the background.

 
The balloon wreath I made, complete with a sock monkey Christmas Tree ornament I dug out of my Christmas decorations box.
A few shots of the festivities...including me blowing up one of many balloons (don't I look thrilled?) and a nice shot of my apron.  After the cupcake, Little Spaghetti's clothes were wiped out (including the sock monkey onesie my mom made for him).

 DIY custom-labeled water bottles.


 The best shot I could find of the sock monkey onesie my mom made for Little Spaghetti.
Happy Birthday sign on the chalkboard wall of our house.

 
I took a photo of Little Spaghetti each month sitting with his teddy bear. For the party, I printed them out and hung them by the cupcake display with clothespins. Everyone loved seeing how he'd changed over the year.
The food! The menu included:
-"Monkey See, Monkey Do: Build your own sandwich" (cold cuts, cheese, rolls, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and condiments).
-"Ants on a Log" (celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins)
-Banana pudding (seriously, so delicious. Everyone RAVED about this recipe)
-"Monkey Mix" (tropical trail mix)
-Banana chips
-Fruit skewers (pineapple, strawberries, and grapes)
-Pretzels
-Potato salad
Sock Monkey Trivia Board for people to test their sock monkey knowledge.  I set this up by the food table so people could check it out while they waited in line to make a plate.

 The party set up.
 
 A few miscellaneous things, including the barrel of monkeys race I had for people to entertain themselves with.

And now: the free printables! 
Cupcake Wrappers
(click on each picture for full size)
To assemble: Print (I used cardstock).  Cut out each wrapper.  Line up the two short straight ends, overlapping them a little to create a "cup" for your cupcake to go in.  Glue or tape the ends together.

Cupcake Toppers
(click on each picture for full size or click here to download the .doc version)
To assemble: Customize and print (I used cardstock)out twice as many as you need.  Cut each circle out (I used a 2" whole punch, and it made the whole process SO much easier).  Put glue on the back of two circles.  Place a craft or Popsicle stick between the two circles, and glue them together). 

 Food Table Signs
(click on each picture for full size or click here to download the .doc version)
To assemble: Customize and print (I used cardstock).  Cut out leaving extra white space above each sign so you can fold the sign to make a tent card.
Candy Buffet Signs
(click on each picture for full size or click here to download the .doc version)
To assemble: Customize and print (I used cardstock).  Cut out leaving extra white space above each sign so you can fold the sign to make a tent card.
Favor Tags
(click on each picture for full size or click here to download the .doc version)
To assemble: Customize and print (I used regular paper).  Decide how you want to attach them to your favors.  I made scrabble tile magnets and used magnetic strips to attach  mine.  See how I did it here).
 
Background Papers
(click on each picture for full size)
Use these however you want.  I printed a couple of each on cardstock to use as backgrounds for my 12 months of pictures.  I printed a couple and punched out 1.5" circles for people to write their names on and tie to the handles of their drink cups so they wouldn't lose them.  Be creative!

A few things to keep in mind:

-These printables are made by yours truly!  And I appreciate it if you use them for personal use only.  If you really, really want them for something else - just ask me.

-These printables are blank.  Why no sock monkey face?  Two reasons.  1) Because I bought the rights to use the sock monkey face here (so I can't give them away free).  2) This way the free printables are more flexible: use whatever theme you want!  I've been envisioning circus theme with the red and white stripe (it reminds me of a popcorn bucket).  Or robots with the checkers.  Or heck, you could use the red and white stripe for Christmas!

-You can customize these files however you want.  If you want to use the sock monkey theme, it's super easy to stick the sock monkey back in the circle if you buy these (really cheap, great files) or any other files. As long as you're moderately handy with a computer; you can use photo editing software, Word, or even Paint.  If you can't figure it out, I'm happy to help - just let me know.

-You can download the .jpeg files or the .doc files (if applicable).  The .doc files are already set up with text boxes for easy customization, but remember that sometimes fonts and formats do funky things in Word from computer to computer, so if it doesn't look right, you'll have to change the font type, size, etc.  I used a font called Giddyup.

56 comments:

  1. I am SO SO impressed with your party and all the paper goods you did yourself!! It looks SO good!!

    I've never gone all out for a party, ever, and now I really want to. My little one turns one in August...I better get busy now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang girl. You're the Martha Steward of birthday theme parties! I gotta get me some sock monkeys. What an adorable cute cute party!! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps. Martha Stewart. I hate when I misspell on a comment. Urgh

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!
    You did a LOT of work for a wonderful party!!
    You did an awesome job!
    CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great job you did with the party, the decorations, food, and everything is so cute! Congratulations also on your Versatile Blogger award over at Insanity Is Not An Option!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!
    What a fantastic party. It has really inspired me. I have 2 bdays coming up. That baby is so lucky!!!! You deserve many awards for these past posts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone! I really enjoyed putting together all the little details.

    @ Megan - I thought it was totally worth going all out! You should do it :) I know you can!

    @Wildcatter's Wife - Aww, shucks :) Thanks. I consider this kind of thing my hobby these days.

    @Jules - thank you so much! I'm honored. I promise I'll get around to passing the award on! Just gotta get me some sleep first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go to his second birthday party!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I wanna do this for my baby shower! Is there anyway you could help me out doing just a thank you note card to print out at walmart and invite? thewheelerbunch@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Or is there a way to add blue into it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh I am so impressed! Can you throw me a Sock Monkey Party? haha Have you ever heard of Pinterest? I'm putting your post there.

    Thank you so much for stopping in at my blog and entering the Blog Bash 2011 Giveaways! Good Luck to you. I'm also following your adorable blog.
    Have a super weekend.
    xoxo SusieQTpies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is the link where I put your post! If you haven't been there yet, you must go. lol If you do add me as your friend. http://pinterest.com/pin/48292070/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Susie! That is so, so sweet of you!!

    I LOVE Pinterest...I'm going to add you as a friend right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am trying to figure out how to stick the jpeg into the circle but am not able to figure it out

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Kira: happy to help! Do you mind shooting me an email, and I'll walk you through it? spaghettiwesterner at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just had my son's 1st birthday party today using your templates. Everything looked so good! Thank you so much for all your hardwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. No problem ;) Glad they came in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this!! I am going to use it for my son's 2nd birthday party, and you have saved me so much work. It's exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks a million! I saved the jpeg files so I can open them in photoshop and add the text/graphics. When I open the image, it's really small rather than filling the size of the page and if I make it bigger it gets grainy. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!
    Danna
    dannabn@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have purchased the graphics but when I add them to the free pintables they are surrounded by a white square. How do I just get the image and not have it surrounded by the square?

    Christie
    cmbattle@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's tricky...it's easy to do with a program like Photoshop, or you might even be able to do it in Paint.

    Send me an email at spaghettiwesterner at gmail dot com and I'll help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am throwing a sock monkey first birthday for my son tomorrow. I was feeling pretty good about it until I found this blog! Wowzer! You are pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your party came out awesome! Happy Birthday to your little one!

      Delete
  22. I don't see the files to the Cupcake Wrappers and the Background Papers. Am I not looking in the right spot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should be there at the bottom of the post. Here's the direct links, too:
      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q4-Jy3FkUpA/TaXzJoB8MiI/AAAAAAAAANo/PmChG2-yKUM/s1600/Stripe+cupcake+wrappers.jpg

      http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CMonpafjipk/TaXyxR7uDdI/AAAAAAAAANM/BdMQNolm69E/s1600/CheckerCupcakeWrappers.jpg

      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zPHUlg2GH9U/TaXycaFqB5I/AAAAAAAAAM8/xQMNidMcYQ4/s1600/Stripe.jpg

      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qY_1jIfGS5s/TaXyqh69KYI/AAAAAAAAANI/VSHjTChPgrA/s1600/Checker.jpg

      Delete
    2. Err...I guess they didn't actually "link," but you could copy/paste them into the address bar, and they should work.

      Delete
    3. Ok I know I am a pain in your butt, but do you have the .doc files for the wrappers and the Background papers? The other ones came up fine and I could save them. I may be doing something wrong. I have a MAC and I am not 100% sure if I am doing it correctly.

      Thanks! =)

      Delete
    4. No problem. Shoot me an email at spaghettiwesterner at gmail dot com. I'll help you out!

      Delete
  23. Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing your great ideas. i decided to make the label but cant figure out how to insert them correctly. Please Help!!
    Jackee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me and email at spaghettiwesterner at gmail dot com and tell me what you're trying to do. I'll walk you through it ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the great ideas! I am having problems importing an image into the party favor Word doc. Any suggestions?

      Delete
    3. What kind of problem are you having? You can let me know here or shoot me an email at spaghettiwesterner at gmail dot com, and I'll try to troubleshoot it with you!

      Delete
  24. Yeah...I'm shamelessly copy-catting this entire party...

    You are so talented. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! You have made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's awesome :) Have a great party. And thank you!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. +1 :) I am gonna copy these printables for my kid's b'day party.

      Delete
  25. I am working on planning my son's first birthday party for April and I am using some of your templates (THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!! Makes my life so much easier!!). But I was wondering, how you created the water bottle labels? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you google "water bottle label templates" you can find some pretty good templates people have created. You can use one of those - personalize to your colors and event. Then print them out and laminate them. I covered mine with packing tape - both sides - so that when they were stored in ice the ink on the label wouldn't get wet and run. Then tape them on the bottle, and that's it!

      Delete
  26. Is the water bottle label file here as well? Thanks, I'm working on my son's 1st birthday party. He carries his own sock monkey around with him all the time. We can't leave home without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry...that file is the only one not on here. If you google "water bottle label templates" you can find some pretty good templates people have created. You can use one of those - personalize to your colors and event.

      Delete
  27. I cannot find the answers to your triva questions. Could you please post them?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello - I found these templates and am planning to use for my son's first birthday party...thank you so much...they are adorable! Wondering if you have a template for the water bottle wraps? I see them in your post, but did not see a template. Not sure if I missed it, or if you re-used one of the other templates. If not, I will try to create one of my own. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  29. sorry - just realized that you answered this question in a previous post....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, Your party looks fantastic, I was wondering how you made the faces for the sock monkey trivia board? I didnt see any templates for them unless i missed them? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fabulous gift to hand down. I have a few of my own toys that I've saved for my kids as well. I wonder how many parents do that? I think when we have something that has brought us comfort and joy, we want to share it with our kids- whether it's toys or an activity, like hiking, crafts or running.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Spaghetti is soo cute and i loved the sock monkey. You really organised the party so well with lovely decorations and DIY stuff. You are truely inspiring! Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your party looks fantastic, I was wondering how you made the faces for the sock monkey trivia board? You are truely inspiring! Thanks for sharing
    game brain it on for pc
    xmeye

    ReplyDelete