Sunday, April 24, 2011

My baby's official last "first:" his first second

Over the past year, I've gotten so many thrills out of Little Spaghetti's "firsts."  I'm not talking milestones here; we've got plenty of those left to cover.  I'm talking about holidays and celebrations.  His first Fourth of July, his first Halloween, his first Christmas.

And today, my friends, brings my baby's last first because this is his first "second:"his second Easter.  For his first Easter, Little Spaghetti was only three days old (Easter was three weeks later this year!).

In fact, for his first Easter, I - like some insane person - decided it would be a good idea to dress my post-partum self up, take my three-day old baby into a ridiculously packed church, sit through a three-hour long mass, and have him baptized.* 

Last year, I went to Easter Vigil mass (for any non-Catholics, this is the Easter service held the evening before Easter, and the mass really does go on for 2-3 hours) holding a tiny person that I did not know.  I was beyond anxious.  He fell asleep on the way to the church, and I was overjoyed.  I wrapped all eight pounds of him in a white fleece blanket, and stuck a bottle with the ounce of colostrum, half breastmilk I'd desperately pumped a few hours before into my pocket.  I held him for three hours.  I was dripping sweat.  I was sitting on my stitches, but couldn't move.  I was dizzy and weak.  I was sure that I was about to bleed through my ginormous hospital pad and onto the church pew.  My arm felt like it was going to fall off.  But I didn't want to jostle him or disturb him.

And he slept.  He slept through the singing, through the bell-ringing, through the water being poured over his head.  For three hours he slept.  I couldn't have been prouder.

After mass last year...still sleeping.
 This year, as he sat and watched everything all around him, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by blessings.  Boy, what a difference a year makes!
After mass this year...what a big boy!

I've always liked Easter, but I think it may have officially solidified its spot as my favorite holiday.  Any celebration that focuses on celebrating life is a winner in my book.

So Happy Easter to all of you.  I hope you have a wonderful day!

Oh, and for the record, I am SO dying for a Coke!

*In reality, the baptism was awesome.  Mr. Spaghetti was getting confirmed into the church at the same time, so the fact that they go to do it together was very sweet and special.

9 comments:

  1. awww he is adorable...i think you are brave for giving up coke. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Happy easter to you too! {yesterday haha} you little guy is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 days old at Easter masss! You are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Pictures!

    I am stopping by from the Tailspin Hop and I am your newest follower!

    You can find me here~
    http://debshere.blogspot.com/

    Have A Great Day!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Adriana - thanks!! It wasn't easy, and I have indulged quite a bit this week, but I think it's going to be a positive change overall.

    @ jenae - it's so good to see you around again!

    @ k - thank you! I don't know what I was thinking. I think I made it through on pure adrenaline.

    @deb - welcome! I look forward to checking out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post and the pictures! Kudos for getting the baptism out of the way! I waited for months after they where born (till I was ready) and it seems harder then it should have been. Happy belated Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mry: You too! I feel like Easter went by way too fast this year. I think baptisms are tough no matter when you do it! Something about trying to make a baby sit quietly in a perfectly crisp white outfit doesn't quite equate to easy!

    ReplyDelete