Monday, April 11, 2011

My music choice dilemma

I've been complaining a lot about music lately, and every time I open my mouth, all I can hear is my mother speaking.  Or maybe even my grandmother.

"What kind of crap is that you're listening to?"

"That's not music, it's just noise."

"No wonder the world is filled with teen pregnancy and drug addicts nowadays with this kind of music playing!"

I listen to a lot of pop music.  I know, not very deep and meaningful, but the tunes are catchy and the lyrics are funny.  But as I'm becoming increasingly aware of Little Spaghetti's attention to the world around him - especially as he's begun to mimic the things Mr. Spaghetti and I do - I can't help but notice how much of the music is just...smut.

I just imagine a few years from now when Little Spaghetti is a walking, talking little kid.  I know he wouldn't be the first kid on the playground to say, "Sticks and stones may break my bones..."  I just don't want him to be the first kid on the playground to follow it up with, "but chains and whips excite me." (Thanks, Rhianna...)"

You know what I'm saying?

And based on his music preferences already (measured arbitrarily by the music to which he dances most enthusiastically),  I've got plenty to worry about: his favorite song right now seems to by Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance."

So what's a girl to do?  I do have a couple kid's CDs - and I genuinely do like them.  But sometimes I want to listen to grown-up music.  And Mr. Spaghetti is definitely not into kid's music.

Do we suck it up and fill our heads with "Pop Goes the Weasel" and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" for the next decade?

I've considered switching to country music; it seems cleaner.  I was a country music fan for a while in high school...I could probably get into it again.

What do you listen to?  What do you recommend?

5 comments:

  1. this one is a tuff one! when its me in the car with kiddlets I blast music like Adele's new CD but when Husband is in the car we listen to country {Im not a huge fan of country but I do enjoy it..if that makes any sense at all?}
    my advice is that your the mama...and you know best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My solution has been oldies and the stuff I liked in High School. I had to edit slightly, but the older stuff doesn't have nearly as much bad language and "adult" lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jenae! I try to trust my instincts, but it isn't always easy!

    @K: What a great idea! I have a *ton* of CDs from my high school years that are just collecting dust. I am going to dig them out. I have a whole new appreciation for my "uncool" parents who just listen to "oldies" tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We listen to mostly rock & metal. Pop is my guilty pleasure... I don't think I'm going to alter what we listen to around Riss. My parents didn't alter it around me growing up.

    Then again, I listen to a lot of stuff that is heavy, but necessarily filled with curse words or sexual references.

    I think balance helps and some radio edits. I might change my mind later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Darcy - thanks for sharing your take! I appreciate a different point of view. It's really making me think (and, to be honest, I don't want to give up my pop music!). Maybe I just need to find a radio station that does edit out cuss words and such...mine doesn't - which is weird!

    ReplyDelete