Monday, May 9, 2011

"Mom" never sounded more beautiful

...than it did yesterday from the sweet mouth of my little babe. 

I wasn't particularly looking forward to Mother's Day this year.  Sure, I was excited and all, but we had a lot of yard work to do.  And we've all been under the weather with a cold.  And it wasn't my first Mother's Day or anything, so it didn't seem quite as special.

Until I heard my little boy say, "Mama."  This isn't the first time he's said it, but boy did I hear it differently yesterday.  It was the first time my son had called me "Mom" on a day just for mothers; a day on which I will forever celebrate the person I am to him.

Something magical happened to me yesterday. My baby's hugs felt tighter.  His smiles looked happier.  His laughs seemed more melodic.  My heart was fuller.  My love for him was deeper.  My soul felt more whole.

Last year, I was so new to motherhood that I don't even think I understood what it meant.  This year, I got it.  I know what it means to be someone's mother.  And I think...I hope...that each year for the rest of my life, I will "get it" a little more.

Happy (belated) Mother's Day to all you wonderful Mothers out there!  I hope your day was great!

8 comments: