Sunday, May 29, 2011

Mommy Fail #102: Poor Planning = Abstract art experiment

My sweet baby boy who used to love to take a bath with his dear old Mom has decided it's way cooler to bathe alone.  Which is fine.  Except the part where I have to choke back tears at how fast my baby is growing up.  And except for the part where the bathtub is slippery, and Little Spaghetti has a tendency to bonk his head on the faucet, the wall, and the soap dish because of it.

So, I, like any good mom, went to the store and picked up a package of tub treads shaped like cute little yellow ducks. See.  They're cute.  And yellow.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to point out my very much from the 1960's dusty rose-colored bathtub.  You might recall her biggest rival: the salmon-colored kitchen sink.  Rumor has it they used to love each other.  Enough to spawn this brown beauty in the kitchen, and then after that the relationship kind of fell apart.
But, I digress...

Oh, but before I undigress too much, I want to let you know that there is no electricity to that lovely brown double oven.  It didn't work when we moved it, and I had them cut the wires to it when they installed my new stove.  I didn't want you thinking I was some kind of safety-disregarding floozy that stores flashlights and rolls of drawer liner in her oven waiting to catch on fire.

Back to the ducks!  I stuck them to the bottom of the tub and...they only covered like half the area I needed to cover.

"No problem," I naively thought.  "I'll just go pick up some more."

As luck would have it, there were no more at the store.  But I needed a solution! I'd scrubbed my tub and it needed to stay clean and dry for a whole TWENTY FOUR HOURS to give the darn things a chance to "bond to the tub."  It was going to be a stretch to keep my water-loving toddler out of there for one day, no less two or three until I could get more ducks.

So, I picked up what they had: some blue fish and some wavy white lines.  Since I'd already stuck the ducks down, I decided it would look totally weird if I had a cluster of yellow ducks and a cluster of blue fish all awkwardly placed on their respective sides of the tub.

Which led me to get creative.  And, let me be the first to tell you, I'm not that creative.  The result of my abstract bathtub art experiment:

Yeah...I even tried to build "clouds" of out the white waves there at the top.

Is it any better from this more artsy angle?

*Sigh*...ah well, I planned to replace the tub someday anyway.  Someday...

7 comments:

  1. lol you really make me laugh... love that the oven is the baby of the sink and tub. My oven beauty is being held together by bungee cord because yes it broke and if you move too quickly by it the door falls off of it. I already broke my pinky finger with it. Good times huh?! One day I say... One day I too will own my dream kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Who says you're not creative? Well done!

    My first thought when I saw your oven was "How does she get away with not using her oven? How can I do that?" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, Adriana! The bungee cord sounds rough! I have faith that you will one day own your dream kitchen, too :)

    @Momnextdoor: I wish I didn't have to use my oven...That would be the life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Your post is GREAT! I must admit I've never seen anyone's oven that full before. ;) whether it be with food or stuff!

    I happen to like your creativity with the bathtub treads.

    I appreciate your coming by my place and leaving a wonderful comment!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable & hilarious blog! well, with some of the entries i sifted through =]

    new follower! found you on Tailspin Hop =] I would love it if you checked out my blog as well =]
    http://mamaspassions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sondra - welcome! Glad you stopped by!

    @Toqua - I'm glad you like the treads. They're doing their job so far.

    ReplyDelete