Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My uterus has a mind of its own

Since we had Little Spaghetti, my husband and I have had many a conversation about whether or not we'll have another child. 

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love my son.  And I love being his mother.  Our debate on adding other kids to the mix isn't because "it's a lot of work and some people just don't want to put that much effort in." (Thanks, mom).  Our hesitation is trying to figure out what is in the best interest of our son.  

We've both had relationships with our siblings that have been very trying at times.  I am a middle child, and I hate being a middle child.  Mr. Spaghetti has just a younger sister, but even his mother has said that his sister was "just ornery and rotten to him" despite how sweet he was to her.

I'm not saying that having siblings is a bad thing every time; it's just something we're considering very thoroughly before we put another bun in this oven.

Long story short, we've decided to at least wait a while before trying for a second child.  I want some time to enjoy Little Spaghetti, and I want him to have me and his dad all to himself for a little while.  (Is this a good solution to the sibling dilemma?  Who knows!  I sure don't.)

Anyway, I *know* that we're not having a baby soon.  I can logically tell myself that we're doing what we think is best.  But my uterus...boy, does she have different plans.

A couple weeks ago, I was at a craft store.  And I saw this beautiful fabric.  A little voice in my head (or, more correctly, the lower part of my abdomen) said, "Wouldn't that just make the most adorable baby girl's nursery? It would be so lovely.  Just imagine it..."

And, so, I bought it.  Despite the fact that I'm not pregnant.  And despite the fact that I'm definitely not pregnant with a girl.  I bought THREE YARDS of it!

Then, yesterday, I had to have an ultrasound of my uterus for what turned out - thankfully - to be a very minor health issue.  But the whole time the ultrasound tech was poking around in my lady parts, all I could think was, "Look at that sad, dejected uterus.  She looks so lonely, all empty like that..."

So I know two things:  1) I'm a crazy person who lets her uterus make frivolous shopping decisions for her and 2) I'm now doomed to only every produce male children who will not appreciate their pink and gray birdcage nursery.

8 comments:

  1. lol... I like that we spread the kids apart... They each felt like they were the only ones ;) This post is funny... I love reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! I'm certain I want at least one more child. I don't like the idea of only children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Adriana - that's helpful to know! I'm thinking putting a little space in between is the way to go. And I'm glad you enjoy reading :)

    @Megan - I can understand that. I didn't used to think I'd ever consider having an older child. But the research on it is actually kind of surprising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you find this plz!!! Love it!!! brit222222@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brit! I got it at Joann's. The designer is Heidi Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my uterus talks to me too lol....she wants a baby in there bad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, idesign! I suppose that's what uteruses (is that a word?) are supposed to say!

    ReplyDelete