Friday, June 24, 2011

Blogger Idol: Will you be in my "Vote For The Worst" club?

I wasted a lot of time this week totally stressing: watching seconds tick by on the clock, obsessively checking Twitter, breathing into a paper bag to calm myself down...ok, not that last one, but I thought about it a couple times.  What was I stressed over?

I auditioned for Blogger Idol 2011.  And then I had to wait. And wait. And wait. Until they announced the results today.  As I watched the awesome video they put together (check it out) my heart sank a little lower into my stomach as each name flashed up on the screen, but wasn't mine.  And then, at 2 minutes and 10 seconds into the video, I saw my name in lights.

I am so flattered to have been chosen as part of the top 12 (the judges are a group of awesome writers), and I am honored to be among the other amazing bloggers.

But now, my dear friends, I have to ask: Will you be part of my voting club?  I hope it's not really a "Vote For The Worst" club, but I'd rather have your support as the worst than be alone as the best.  The contest starts this week at Blogger Idol (don't forget to follow the blog there or follow @BloggerIdol on Twitter!)  I'd love it if you joined us, and I hope that you find my blogging worth voting for each week.  (Voting starts on Wednesdays and ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on Thursdays.)

And for those who are curious...here was my audition:

When I was eight, I wanted to be a best-selling author. That's my first memory of dreaming of doing something big.  Of making a splash. Of being somebody. 

After a big-name publisher rejected my first masterpiece, I decided to stick to my Lisa Frank diary, kept safely under plastic, purple, butterfly-shaped lock and key.
And so it went.  When I was eleven, I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast.  When I was in high school, I wanted to be a Broadway star. When I was in college, I wanted to be America's Next Top Model.

There was always something in the way, though: I was too young, too tall, too tone-deaf, too nervous. 

I went on with life.  I got a solid degree, followed by a respectable career.  Then, one day, I found myself staring into the eyes of the guy who makes me be my worst critic, but is also my greatest inspiration: my weeks-old son.  I felt a little bit like Derek Zoolander staring into a dingy puddle in the gutter asking my reflection, "Who am I?" (Though, my son is a little more beautiful than an oil-smeared, watery reflection of Ben Stiller).
The problem wasn't actually that I don't know who I am.  I am a wife, but I'd never cut it in Stepford.  I am a mother, but Carol Brady could teach me a thing or two.  I like to craft, but I don't hold a candle to Martha Stewart.  I find some good deals, but I'm no extreme couponer.  I'm a Do-It-Yourself designer and decorator, but Paige Davis would kick my butt in a design-off.  I enjoy cooking, but Paula Deen would be embarrassed by some of the things that come out of my kitchen.

The true problem was that I didn't know what to do with the fact that I'm a lot of things, but I'm not defined by any of them. In the end, what I have to offer is *me.* My genuine - if sometimes cynical - passion for my fairly unremarkable life instead of my singing and dancing.  And, so, I write.

On my blog, The Spaghetti Westerner, I like to look at life as entertainment with my loved ones as the characters.  Sometimes it's a sitcom, occasionally it's a drama, and there's no shortage of bad reality TV. I want to inspire and to commiserate, to support and to rely, to share and to learn.

Here's the cherry on top: I am so obscure a blogger that you don't even know who I am.

After all, isn't that what Idol is about? Taking someone that nobody's ever heard of who pours their heart and soul into what they do with a little bit of talent and a lot of charisma and introducing them to the world? 

It isn't about what I've already done, but what I'm going to do. That's why – even if you don't know it yet – I am your 2011 Blogger Idol.

Yours Truly,
Lisa aka Mama Spaghetti

16 comments:

  1. I love this line: "Sometimes it's a sitcom, occasionally it's a drama, and there's no shortage of bad reality TV." And I love your blog name. Glad this contest connected me to your blog. Look forward to reading and competing.
    DKL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, DKL! One of the things I'm most excited about in Blogger Idol is getting to know the other contestants! Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe yeah!!!! how exciting!!!!!!!!! you are so great :) you will do so well :) i'm headed over to vote for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michelle! Voting starts on Wednesday; I'll try and remind people to let them know. I really appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, love the Derek Zoolander reference! Great submission-no wonder you were one of the few selected. Gratz!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lindy! You are so sweet. That movie rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jules! I can't tell you how much your support means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great writing! What a brilliant idea'. Im voting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, Mary! I don't know what I'd do without friends like you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow! You're so big time now! I'm so proud of you. (Can I ride your coat tails?)

    Of course I'll vote for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have my vote. When you described yourself I felt like you were talking about me. I can relate. I am glad I found your blog.

    One favor if you can. I am unable to sign up for RSS feeds could you add email sign up so I can follow you easier?
    If not it's ok


    Thanks
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. K: Haha! I don't know how big time I am, but thank you. And my coat tails are all yours! You've been with me since practically the beginning of this blog!

    Linda: I will work on getting an RSS feed for you; thanks for the suggestion. I've been meaning to do it, but I will get to it today - hopefully! And thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! What a great entry post! I would have picked you too! Your point about being obscure was genius! (although with 300-plus followers I'd hardly call that obscure. And if you do, crap, I have a long way to go to achieve obscure! haha!)Well done! I'll go vote now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks MND! Though, to be fair, when I auditioned, I only had like 60 followers. It's amazing what bribing people with a hundred bucks can do (the blog bash giveaway).

    ReplyDelete