Monday, June 6, 2011

Mommy Fail turned Mommy Win! Plus a secret, just for you.

It's no secret that I'm bad at housekeeping.  I use my drying rack as a second closet.  I use my stove as a cabinet.  I retile my kitchen with a busy-patterned tile so that you can't see the dirt and food and spills. 

Alright, alright! Enough with the details of what a bad housekeeper I am...I'm starting to feel like a slacker!

Anyway, one of my particularly bad domestic habits is not putting away the laundry.  I've even been known to leave it for days on end in the dryer. 

Usually I feel bad about that, but tonight it was one of the best decisions I've made in days!

You see, my husband and I have this new routine where he goes to bed with the baby, and I get to stay up late and blog do my chores and run my household.  Then he gets up early in the morning and does p90x while I sleep.  (Are you catching on to who the lazy one in my house is?)

So, most nights before they get into bed, I rush around in the bedroom gathering up all my supplies and stashing them away for the winter like a squirrel.  But some nights (like tonight) I don't get in there in time, and then I have to make the ever-difficult decision about whether or not to risk waking my sleeping baby by creeping into the room to get something.  Usually the answer is not.

But tonight, as I was sitting down to read my favorite blogs, I was kicking myself for having to sit on the couch in my work clothes instead of my comfy pajama pants and fuzzy socks.

Then I remembered that the laundry was still in the dryer!  And wouldn't you know it?  I'd just done a load of darks.  Comfy pajama pants, fuzzy socks, and all.


And while I'm here in my most comfortable pants, blogging all by myself, feeling a little bit like a kid at a sleepover (minus a dozen thirteen year old girls playing Light As A Feather, Stiff As A Board) and just because I like you: I'll share this deep, dark secret with you.  Late at night, when I'm in my most comfortable pants, blogging all by myself, I fry cheese.


That's right.  I put it in a pan and fry it up.  I don't add anything or do anything to it.  Just fry it.  Sure, it may not be Heart Smart Diet-approved, but I figure it's no worse than eating a string cheese for a snack.  And I'd do that.

Usually I use parmesan because it cooks up into delicious little crispy wafers of pure heaven, but sometimes - like tonight - I run out of parmesan and try out other kinds of cheese.  Note to self: the cheddar produced less than stellar results.

That's all the madness I've got for you right now!  I hope you'll come back to my sleepover another day...

21 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Hilarious. I hate putting away laundry, too. It's the chore both hubby and I hate doing and we procrastinate as long as possible!!!

    Nancy

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle - Oh, it was!

    @Nancy - Welcome! Glad you stopped by, and I look forward to checking out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently have one load sitting in the dryer, one load actually folded but still in the basket in the hallway that probably won't get put away until next weekend when I need the basket to do more laundry, and one more load sitting on my coffee table since Sunday waiting to be folded. I'm pretty sure it will stay there until next weekend also. So I'm with you! And although we've finally reclaimed our bedroom as our own it requires going past my kids bedrooms, and who wants to risk that, so I have been saved many times by loads left in the dryer!

    And frying cheese?? Why the hell didn't I think of that! Holy crap! You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL You know what who wants an etsy store to sponsor a blog when you can have the food network...lol... I just love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MomNextDoor - I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. And, yeah, frying cheese rocks. You have to try it!

    @Adriana - lol! I hope you know I love you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I just may try this "frying cheese late at night" thing. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...I forgot the "stiff as a board light as a feather" game. I feel like a sixth grader again! Do you have a Ouji board?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Wildcat...please do. You'll never go back!

    @Lanita...of course I have a Ouji board! What's a good sleepover without a Ouji board?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! While we're confessing, let me tell you that I've had to re-wash whole loads of laundry because they never make it out of the washing machine. Wet clothes, stuck in a closed environment for several days = musty smelling!
    Leaving them in the dryer is clearly a better idea!
    :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Krista

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA! I'm so glad I'm not the only slacker wife! I soo hate to clean and cook but he knew about it before he married me! :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mommyhood: I'd by lying if I said I'd never done that!

    @Jami: Join the club! Luckily, my husband is pretty understanding, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love fried cheese too.. It's so yummy and a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, so delicious! Really enjoying your blog. Visiting from #commenthour, and I'm definitely going to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ThisMama: Thanks for stopping by and welcome! I had so much fun checking out your blog today. I love finding new blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! When I was little my Nana used to fry cheese for me ALL THE TIME ... I haven't had it in years, but now you have me wanting some ASAP!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Vicki: You should make some up right now! And share it with me!

    ReplyDelete