Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Well, at least you didn't marry me for money.

We were sitting at the dinner table the other night, when my husband looked over at me sweetly, took my hand in his, and said:

"I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and I'm beginning to think that I didn't really marry you for any of the reasons I thought I did."

Me: "Oh really?  Please tell me more."

Husband: "Well, I read this interesting article about people who had been in accidents that damaged the parts of their brain that control emotions.  They end up spending so much time and energy trying to reason things out that it causes them to not be able to make any decisions about anything."

Me: "That is interesting...but what does it have to do with why you married me?"

Husband: "When I married you, I had all these logical reasons, but it turns out that logic relies pretty heavily on emotions, so I think I married you just as much for emotion as for reason."

Me: "So what you're saying is that you didn't think you married me for love, but it turns out that you did?"

Husband: "Well, it doesn't sound very nice when you put it like that.  It's just that consciously, I thought I was making a choice for certain reasons that made sense, but I think my subconscious mind knew how I really felt about you and made sure I made the right choice in marrying you."

Me: "So what you're saying is that it took your subconscious mind to talk you into marrying me?"

Husband: "Oh, never mind!  I really married you because I had a huge crush on you in high school, and I just never could get over it."

At least there was ONE good reason.  I'm kidding...the truth is, even though I like to give him a hard time, I love him even more when he says things like that.  That's the nerdy, cerebral, wonderful man I married, and I wouldn't trade him for the world.


P.S.  Voting is now open for Blogger Idol Week 3; this week is an interview with one of the other contestants.  I got paired with the fabulous Mommy in Law. Vote Roni and Mama Spaghetti! Click here to vote.


Photo by Chris Doerr

21 comments:

  1. awww sweet post... isn't nice to just hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our 10th wedding anniversary is coming up, so I've been thinking a lot lately about why we got married, and about how different and deeper our relationship is now. It keeps getting better!
    This was a really sweet read - Thanks!
    ~Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Adriana: it is nice to hear it!

    @Mommyhood: Congrats on 10 years!! We are approaching four, but I feel the same way. I hope I continue to feel that way as we head toward 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also married to a rather nerdy man who often says things like that. I won't change him for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very sweet. I'm a rational person, so I love the logic behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when guys get all deep and emotional and they totally get it wrong. I'll take that over Rico Suave any day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kelli: Thanks! I appreciated the logic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @momnextdoor: I know...that makes it so much more endearing and heartfelt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good thing you took that whole conversation in stride because he was digging himself a little hole there. ;)

    And I voted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you gave him a hard time while he was trying to be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee! That's a hilarious conversation, he really dug quite a hole. Even if inside you were loving it the whole time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Mary: Thanks!

    @Texas: Yeah he was! He knows me well enough to know I can take it, though.

    @Wow: I know, I know. He really was trying, too. I let him I know I appreciate him.

    @Stephanie: It was just too funny not to let him know how wrong I could take what he was saying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, that was freaking adorable right there!! And yes, you totally had to give him a hard time. *snicker* He sounds like a really sweet guy, though. Lucky you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete