Friday, August 26, 2011

Dr. Seuss Party: Revealed!

First off, I need to say thank you again for your support with Blogger Idol.  I am officially in the top three.  The TOP THREE, people!

I will need all the help and support I can get next week: vote for me, pimp  me out on your blog or Twitter, pass me a bottle of tums as I watch the elimination video on Friday (I swear I'm going to have an ulcer by the time this is over).

I'm so proud to have made it so far, but even more proud of YOU, my awesome readers and friends who have gotten me here.

Alright, I've talked and talked (and whined) about this party, and now it's over and I don't know what to do with my spare time. So, in an effort to make the glory last a little longer, I bring you at long last: the Dr. Seuss baby shower.

My dear friend is having twins, which is something I can say that I never hope to experience.   But, to help her celebrate (and prepare), I threw a Thing 1 and Thing 2 shower.

Overall, I think it came out really well.  Minus a few mishaps like letting all the cotton candy melt in my car.    It was a fun day, and she looked radiant, as any woman growing two babies should.




We had a photo guest book.  Everyone wrote messages to the mom or babies, then we took their photo with some cool props: an old frame I'd painted to match, a boa, a Cat-in-the-Hat hat.  I'm going to put the pictures all in a book for my friend to have record of all the attendees.


I LOVE decorating with paper lanterns. They make a big impact in any space. And they look pretty Dr. Seuss-y.

Because I was throwing this shower in the home of a person I'd never met four hours from where I live, I didn't want to show up and put nail holes in her walls and ceiling to hang up the lanterns.  So, I filled some big vases with glass beads, and used those as the base to support some garden stakes I picked up from the dollar store. These were the perfect way to hang the lanterns quickly, easily, and without permanent damage.


I hung Thing 1 and Thing 2 onesies with these fun, giant clothespins I found at the craft store at Easter time. I dyed plain ol' white onesies red with Rit dye, then printed out and ironed on the decals.


This is the only picture I managed to get of the custom water bottles I worked so hard on!


I cut red and white circles of various sizes out of craft foam, and used them to decorate all of the tables and flat spaces I could find.


Wow, that's a lot of presents!
We played a few traditional games like Guess How Big The Pregnant Lady's Belly Is.  Isn't she cute?


And we had a few "passive" games, like this one, where people had to guess the number of jelly beans in this jar that I made to look like the Cat-in-the-Hat hat.  How many jelly beans would you guess?


And then, there was the food.  The food was my favorite part of this shower; I had so much fun with it.

Brown bar-ba-loots Truffla Fruits from
The Lorax
Poodles Eating Noodles from Fox in Socks
Macaroni Salad
No Seuss party is complete without Green Eggs and Ham
Green deviled eggs and ham cream cheese roll-ups
Homemade Yertle the Caramel Turtles

Oobleck
Spinach Dip
My favorite shower food:
Swedish fish
.

Hop on Pop(corn)
Cinnamon and sugar popcorn
Yot in a Pot - saucy pineapple meatballs
from There's a Wocket in my Pocket

Fox in Socks Three Cheese Trees: Colby Jack, Swiss, and Cheddar
Yink Pink Ink Drink (raspberry lemonade)
from One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
A crumb that was even too small for a mouse from How the Grinch Stole Christmas
because even baby showers can have a sense of humor
 And the crowning achievement of the party: Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes - red velvet cake, cream cheese frosting, and blue cotton candy hair on top.


And finally, me!  Enjoying myself putting the hair on the cupcakes.  Notice the Dr. Seuss apron.  I made it myself!


48 comments:

  1. wow..you went all out for this! Looks like it was really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A.MAZE.ING.

    I want to have a baby now just so YOU can plan my shower!

    I was thinking about you yesterday because I was at Sam's Club, and while walking down the candy aisle, I saw a "club pack" of cotton candy. It was 6 of those tubs you found at Walmart shrink wrapped together. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like loads of fun. :)
    And you did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh! I don't even know what to say over here - you did an INCREDIBLE job, girlfriend! Oh, I'm looking at all that Dr. Seuss stuff and just remembering my childhood an what a big part Dr. Seuss played and... yeah. Just awesomeness all around. You are SO unbelievably creative!! My personal fave? The Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes - that was just the piece de resistance!

    Also? I'm guessing 1,500 jellybeans! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! What a shower. Am going to call one of my friends and tell her she needs to have another baby so I can steal, er...I mean borrow some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great party!! :) And congrats on top three!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you take the term 'overachiever' to a whole new level!

    Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like it was an awesome party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks very fun :P
    amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is pretty neat!
    And I even like green eggs and ham.
    Al, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!
    AMAZING!!!

    Next party I have I want you to plan it!!
    You do AMAZING work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love planning theme parties, and this was about as fun to look at as I'm sure it was to create! Your friend (who is totally adorable, by the way), is so lucky to have such a creative friend like you to make this day so special! I love all the details!!
    Sarah @ made in usa challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my good grief! This is the cutest shower I have ever seen. I'm going to have twins immediately, so you can throw this party for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! I'm sure you'll do fine in the next round though.

    Also, now I'm hungry after seeing all those pics. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess now that you're done planning this party, you'll have to find a new party to help plan. Like, a wedding or something...

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, you're gorgeous! I had never seen a straight on pic of you like that! Second of all, there's a shower I wish I had been invited to. Normally those events make me shudder. But you are a wiz party planner! And third of all, send me an email, let me know when would be a good day to pimp the hell out of you lady! Let's get you Number 1 Blogger Idol! You've always done so much for me, let me repay you in some small way! When is the best day to pimp my darling! fancythatpartyplanning@gmail.com xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, that's one amazing baby shower! I'm very impressed. Want to come throw my birthday party next month? The big 4-0 deserves a little pizzazz, but I doubt hubby will even remember to invite my friends more than a few days out, let alone do something so cool. Your friend is so very luck to have such a creative and giving pal like you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fox in Socks was my favourite, 'Through three cheese trees
    Three free fleas flew'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great party. I love all your creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You missed your calling as a party planner! That's incredibly creative!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! OMG! I LOVE these pictures! You had me smiling from beginning to end of this post. How absolutely adorable! And the cube too small for the mouse - LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks awesome! You're a great party planner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Just WOW!! You are planning my next party! I don't care how we make it work but I'm making you! You are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, and congrats on top 3!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy cow you are amazing! This is such a great career for you! Why the heck are you blogging?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are freaking brilliant!!!! I love this idea. Its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved your dress; it looks very nice friend :)

    That’s cute card to your friend and Love the lantern u make for her. Hope u all had fun along playing traditional games. There are variety of food that unfamiliar to me, but would love tasting those. Thanks for the picture post esp. the photo on your friend is so nice.

    Your friend is really lucky to have u to arrange for her baby showering! Proud of u friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Timothy: It was really fun!

    @ChiTown: I'd plan your baby shower any day! And lol about the cotton candy.

    @Sentence: Thanks! I appreciate that.

    @Crystal: Those were my favorite part, too! And you were pretty close: 1,118!

    @Gigi: You should! This was such a fun shower. And I'm happy to share ideas/files if ever you need them. Just let me know!

    @Marina: Thanks for your support!

    @Idaho: Haha. I try.

    @Bobo: It was an awesome party.

    @Sylar: Thanks!

    @Al: Haha. Good to know you like green eggs and ham. My version turned out pretty well.

    @Toqua: I really love planning parties! I have a lot of fun with it.

    @Sarah: Thank you! And my friend thanks you, too. It was a lot of fun to create!

    @Jessica: If you have twins, I will definitely throw this shower for you!

    @DWei: Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am super nervous about this round.

    @Kathryn: Ummm...yes! Actually, I've had this same thought. I CANNOT WAIT to plan this wedding with you ;)

    @Sandra: You are so awesome. I hope you know that!

    @HeliGirl: The big 4-0 definitely deserves some pizazz! I'd be more than happy to help if we lived near each other!

    @Tony: I love Fox in Socks!

    @Jackie: Thanks!

    @Stephanie: I really do enjoy planning parties. I just need to have more kids so I can plan more birthdays, lol.

    @Aleta: Haha! YOU made me smile with your comment. Thanks!

    @Katie: Thanks!

    @StephanieD: Well...maybe if the only thing you look at is party planning. If you take into account all the other things, there's no way I'd get that title. Haha!

    @Momnextdoor: I would LOVE to plan your next party! You let me know when and where - lol.

    @Mary: You are too sweet! Unfortunately, I don't know if I could make any money at this after figuring in all the time it takes me to do it - lol! But...I have considered a career as a party planner.

    @MJ: Thanks, girl!

    @Madrassi: Thank you for all your sweet words! I really enjoyed my dress :)

    @Adriana: Thanks! I had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is quite possibly the most creative and adorable baby shower idea EVER. I can't wait to steal....umm...try it for friends in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Chrissy: I hope you do! You will have so much fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! You blew Martha and Rachel right out of the water! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow!! Amazing!! Where did you get your idea and the little food cards etc? LOVE it!! Good luck on the Blog contest, winner decided tonight!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Nitebyrd: Thanks!

    @Coby: I came up with that one all on my own :) The font was called Grinch, which I downloaded for free. Then I just used copies of the book covers next to each food description. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. HOW DID YOU GET THE GRINCH FONT? IM TRYING TO CREATE MY OWN FOOD LABELS BUT CANT SEEM TO GET THE WORDS NEXT TO THE IMAGE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a free font that I downloaded and installed on my computer. I usually use dafont.com to download fonts. This one is called "Grinched." If you search on dafont, you should find it.

      If you're not familiar with installing fonts, here is an FAQ from dafont about doing it; it's really simple: http://www.dafont.com/faq.php

      Delete
  35. This looks absolutely amzing!! Where did you get the cards for teh food labels? Or did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh never mind, I just saw the previous post..lol.

      Delete
  36. Just found your Dr. Seuss baby shower on Pinterest and it super cute. I'm doing this theme for my first grandbaby and plan on doing a photo booth. I plan on making my frame and was wondering what size your cute blue frame was in your photo booth? Heather

    ReplyDelete