Saturday, September 24, 2011

I bet you didn't know I was a poet!

Do you ever get so busy that you feel like you don't even have time to think?  That's been my life lately. 

As I sit here typing, there are toys strewn about my house, there is a load of wet laundry just waiting to grow mold in the washing machine, and there's a half gallon of milk that's been sitting out too many hours for it to be safe to drink any more. 

So, I'm going to share a poem I wrote several months ago.  I don't share my poetry much...it's mostly a private enterprise.  But I like writing it.  Hopefully you like reading it.

Also, I should note that I am the kind of poet who only knows how to write one kind of poetry - the kind that rhymes.  I know there are other kinds, and I have nothing against them.  But I don't write them.  So, you'll have to put up with my obsessive need to rhyme.

Just after the baby falls asleep

I've never known a stillness
like the quiet in a mother's home
just after a baby falls asleep
and she finds herself alone.

Her ears still ring with the sound
of a baby's little hand
pounding on the coffee table
like the proudest drummer in a band.

Echoes of tiny giggles settle
like a dusting of snow on the ground,
and shouts from a mouth of toothless grins
fade to a new peace found.

The suddenness with which it comes
makes this quiet quite a shock:
as if the world forgot to spin,
and time stands still on the clock.    

It is in these moments of deafening silence
before my mind turns to laundry piled
that I worry most – and wonder most –
what this life will hold for you, child.

16 comments:

  1. 'The suddenness with which it comes
    makes this quiet quite a shock:'
    This is sooo true ... and then you spend a lot of time thinking what to do. By the time you look round they are up again and it starts all over. Thanks for sharing, poet.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were a poet but now I do. This is some nicely written stuff, very well played, you should post more poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something magical about a sleeping baby!

    (I leave the milk out all the time. It drives my husband crazy.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, my friend, rock! This was beautiful. And, just for the record, I happen to prefer poems that rhyme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK. You totally nailed this...

    Sadly, though, my kids all talked and giggled in their sleep. Still do actually. So there's never any silence in my house.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great.

    Is it on the same level as "Go the F to sleep?" Maybe. Get Sam Jackson to read your poem, and let's find out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, that was really sweet! I like, I like! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you only write poems that rhyme because I'm never sure how to read one that doesn't. I always *try* to make it rhyme in my head and when it doesn't work out I get all annoyed. So YAY for rhyming poems! And this was a good one! So true! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved this post!!!! had to share it with the twitter world :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh that was really nice :) I also only know how to make poems that rhyme :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. just found your blog, love your writing style! And the poem, so true!!

    ReplyDelete