Saturday, September 17, 2011

My laundry utopia

I mentioned a little while ago that I was up to my elbows in taupe paint because I was remodeling my laundry room (I may have referred to the shade of paint as "u-taupe-ia," if you can believe that).  Anyway, I want to share with you the fruits of my labor.

As a (mostly) stay-at-home mom, I get to play pretend a lot.  I pretend to be a teacher, a maid, a gardener...But my favorite thing to pretend to be is an interior decorator.  Though, a handyman comes in close second.  You see, I've had LOTS of practice at those two jobs since we've basically renovated our entire house since we bought it just over a year ago.  For proof, check out the time I transformed the "bruise wall" into a magical sunroom retreat.

Back to the laundry room: it was old and horribly gross, but I knew a couple cans of paint and some new floors would fix it right up.  Take a look!

The wood laminate flooring is a huge upgrade from the cheesy linoleum that was supposed to look like bricks.  And was suspiciously missing a piece so you could see the subfloor.



The cabinets were updated with a fresh coat of white paint.  And the handles that did not match with each other at all were replaced with handles that were all the same.



I love how it turned out!  Now I have my own personal laundry utopia.


And, the best, most awesome part of this whole remodel?  Making my own stainless steel countertops.


Did you even know there was such a thing as stainles steel paint?? Or someone crazy enough to paint it on their counters?  Oh, yes, I did.

But, to see the details (and the stunning results) of my countertop transformation, you're gonna have to check out my guest post at Momma Bird.  Hope you enjoy! (And say hi to Michelle while you're there.  She's awesome.  And crafty.  And reads stories on video.)

18 comments:

  1. I don't have a laundry room, actually my clothes dry on the banister. I have two cats too, it's rare, but it has happened where I have to rewash clothes because it got covered in cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that link to Mommy Bird didn't work. :( Now I'll NEVER know how cool your counter turned out!!

    The laundry room looks spectacular. I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice laundry room. You Americans are so cool having a room specifically for laundry and everything, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love what a can or two of paint can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome transformation! I am always in awe of what a lick of paint can do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, just checked out your countertop at the other blog, WOW! Love it. Am now currently scouting around my house for things I can paint with that stuff! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. God. That stainless steel paint... I have wanted stainless steel countertops for SO LONG. That is amazing. You are going to have to update in a few months to tell about the wear and tear and stuff. I'm very interested.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You've done a wonderful job! It looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're too cute :) LOVE the post :) and pretty sure i had major visitors from you :) hope you are having a fantastic day! thanks again for the post :) you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Job very well done! It looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice - you certainly are a Jill of all trades! Honestly, the revamped laundry room looks amazing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a laundry room. My washer and dryer lives on my back porch.
    I really love the new floor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paint is one of the most wonderful things ever.

    And did you know their are paints with metal flakes in them, so when you paint it on a wall the wall becomes magnetic?

    How. Awesome. Is. That?

    Anywoozle... the laundry room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, wanna come over? Seriously, awesome! I am so nervous about the idea of painting cabinets but yours rock! And stainless steel paint is some kind of crazy business!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job, it looks amazing! Kudos to you, I am envious of your laundry room right now LOL, I have a laundry closet in this townhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are quite the before and after pictures. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Mark: That's a bummer! If it makes you feel any better, sometimes I have to wash my clothes again because my toddler tosses them on the floor and stomps on them.

    @ChiTown: Thanks! I'm so happy with it.

    @Yeamie: It is pretty handy.

    @K: It's pretty incredible, isn't it!

    @Gigi: It's great stuff! So much fun!

    @Heather: I know what you mean! I will let you know how they wear.

    @Toqua: Thanks!

    @Momma Bird: Thank you for the feature! You're awesome!

    @Scot Lass: Thank you!

    @Crystal: I like that - Jill of all trades!

    @Ruth: I really like the floor too!

    @Julianna: That is totally awesome! I've also used the chalkboard paint, and it's pretty awesome, too.

    @Stephanie: I was nervous about painting them, too. But I'm so glad I did it.

    @Brittany: Hey - a laundry closet is better than nothing!

    @DWei: Thanks! It was a lot of work, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete