Wednesday, September 28, 2011

This is the proudest moment of my motherhood

There were a lot of things I didn't expect before I had a baby...locking myself in the bathroom to get a little peace, having someone rip out my eyelashes, being plagued by sleep crawling.  But what happened today has been the biggest surprise of all.  The joy  I feel at this very second has been so unexpected that I must record it for all posterity.

This is the proudest moment of my motherhood so far.  It kicks the pants off of rolling over and walking.  I am actually quite shocked that this milestone is not listed in every baby book on the market.  Heaven knows it should be.

Today, friends, is the day my son learned how to blow his nose.  Like actually move air forcefully enough through his nostrils to cause boogers to come out of them. 

It was a beautiful moment; I wish you could have been there.  As he was getting out of the bath tonight, I held up a tissue to his sweet little nose, and said, "blow."  Dutifully, he blew.  But much to both of our surprises, stuff came out.  A lot of gross, green chunky stuff.

He looked at me with wide eyes, then smiled and proceeded to blow over and over and over again.  I almost cried.

This is a skill I have been wishing he would learn pretty much since the day he was born.  You see, I find boogers to be the grossest of all the substances that come out of an infant.  So gross that the only time I've found something gross enough as a mother to gag, it was a booger.

But today, with great pride, I can retire the trusty little green snot sucker that has been the bane of my existence for 18 months.  You've served us well, ol' bulb syringe.  Now, put your feet up, have a beer, and relax.  You definitely deserve a vacation.

27 comments:

  1. Fekkin' Awesome Post.

    I can deal with boogers and running noses but projectile vomit is another story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your son's finally learned how to use a tissue. I struggled until I was pretty old so you should be proud of your kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! E has been obsessed w/ tissues and blowing her nose to the point I almost find it annoying when she tells me she is stuffy for the 30th time each day. You remind me to be grateful that our booger sucker has been long retired :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the little things, isn't it?

    That's awesome, I remember being excited over the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is game changing isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is huge!! I can't even tell you how many kids in my kindergarten (!) I've had to teach this same skill to because their mothers couldn't be bothered. Ugh! On behalf of Little Spaghetti's future teachers - thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ZOMG, that is hilarious!! I hope your snot-sucker enjoys its retirement. It was well-earned, I'm sure! Yay for Little Spaghetti. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, but you'll get nostalgic for the little booger sucker, I know it. Now that you done with it, whaddya gonna do? I suppose you could use it to baste the turkey. That you plan on cooking for people you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before you know it, he'll be wanting the car.
    But, at least his nose will be clean as a whistle (providing he can whistle through his nose).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I'm glad he figured it out and was excited about it, for your sake as much as his!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best. Picture. Ever.

    And congrats to you. I didn't learn until about 8. I was one of those 'finger in the nose' brats.

    *props*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, that doesn't sound like it was a pleasant task at all but now you're free. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY Little Spaghetti!!

    I remember thinking “Bud really needs to start blowing his own nose because I HATE the booger sucker.” So I decided it was time to teach him but I was kind of stuck. How do you actually TEACH someone to blow their nose? I’m sure there are techniques but I certainly didn’t know them. The very next day my husband held up a tissue for him and said “Blow” and he actually did! He just did it. At that moment I knew my son was a genius! (Or hated that bulb sucker as much as I did and would do anything possible not to have to deal with it.) (Either one.) It was definitely a proud moment!

    Yay for you too!

    (GREAT picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to your little man and his booger expulsion skills. He's 30 months ahead of my little girl, who still refuses to harness this valuable life skill. You are my hero. Imagine the horror of using that snot sucker on a 4 year old. I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha - this is awesome and love your choice in beer!

    when I was pregnant with my oldest that little blue bulb I feared more then labor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think only a mom can relate to this. :) Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! My toddler figured out to blow his own nose too! It's great because now I don't have to teach him now to pick his nose (though he will no doubt figure that out on his own)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's funny how something so little and insignificant like blowing your nose can become such an achievement for a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete