Sunday, October 2, 2011

I anticipated gray hair, but I never thought my kid would make me bald

Some kids have blankies while others have teddy bears.  Mine has hair.  Specifically, my hair, though he'll also accept his Grandmother or Aunt's hair when he has to.

Little Spaghetti has fiddled with my hair for as long as I can remember.  I even chopped off my long, beautiful hair into a short mom haircut when he was four months old or so (something I SWORE I'd never do) in an effort to get him to stop playing with it.

There was even a brief time when his love of hair focused specifically on my eyelashes and I wondered whether I'd ever find a mascara to cover up massive chunks of missing lashes.

This week, I finally got to the point where I couldn't take the hair holding any more.  You see, I have gotten my little guy to sleep in his own bed (woot! that's a huge accomplishment.  I'm just sayin').  He'd stay there until about 4 am, at which point I let him get into bed with me.

Each day,  his hair addiction was getting worse and worse.  It got to the point that he started spending three hours each morning just rubbing, twirling, and pulling my hair, but not actually sleeping.  Then, it would culminate around 7 each morning with him wrapping his entire arm in my hair, followed by his foot.  As he wound more of my hair around more of his body, he - without fail - would end up laying on top of my head.

So I  cut him off. Ok, that's a lie.  I found a surrogate.  My mom had this doll that used to be mine.  She has hair.  Lots of it.  And he doesn't seem to mind the switch.  See?

Nothing more peaceful than a sleeping baby


In the morning, though, this is what we get.

Someone had a rough night!
She looks how I used to feel.  Luckily, I don't feel that way any more.  But I do spend thirty minutes combing out this doll's hair each day so that it doesn't become a total disaster.

Though, with the amount of hair she loses each time I brush it, I'm afraid she's going to be bald by his second birthday... Although, at least it won't be me!

21 comments:

  1. That is adorable. That will be one to show him at his 21st birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's genius. Glad to hear your hair's now being left alone for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant job mis-directing and distracting.
    far better behavior modification tools for dealing with kids than punishment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This totally reminded me of my cousin when he was small - he loved to play with his mom's hair too. I guess "loveys" come in all different forms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the solution. Good job there :) That first pic is soooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny. I had a cousin who loved my little brother's ears. Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, that's brilliant!! I have ALWAYS been completely creeped out by dolls, NEVER had them as a kid, and still can't stand them to this day. I want to say I wish I had thought of this idea when my son was a baby, but it wouldn't have helped me, cuz there are NO dolls lying around from my childhood. I just had to sacrifice my hair, which I eventually cut like Halle Berry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mommy WIN!! Great job!

    Maybe it's time to invest in more hairy dolls so you can have backups when this one starts getting male-pattern baldness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow. That eyelash loss sounds bad. Not that the rest of it sounds good. At least he accepted the doll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm laughing, because I did this to my Mom when I was a baby. I loved twirling her hair and I would fall asleep doing so. But the minute she'd take her hair out of my hand, I woke up. She had to substitute a doll's hair for her own. Lol. And I'll admit, I still love to twirl hair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job mom! I wish my baby's night time need is that easy to solve (not that it was easy per say) and I have to admit - jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny! My now eight year old was a huge hair baby. My hair was completely broken at the nape of my neck from him constantly pulling on it. He did finally break the habit,which is great because I was fearful for his future wife.;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute! What a perfect solution. I got lucky with my younger brother - he wasn't much of a hair-puller, but I've babysat kids that were... *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, well, you could just stock up on dolls with hair and bam, problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG this is hilarious, especially with the photos!! I've never heard of kids playing with hair like that. I guess I'm lucky! Glad your little dude is enjoying his Mommy hair replacement!
    Sarah @ made in usa challenge

    ReplyDelete
  16. H aha that is hysterical! hope you are doing well mama! We should talk about trading posts sometime soon! Would love to see you over at It's Fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! That poor doll. I always prepare for when I babysit my nephew, the hair goes up in a bun, no earrings, no necklaces NOTHING distracting...BUT now he just puts his hand down my shirt! I think I'd rather just let my hair down! =D

    ReplyDelete