Friday, October 7, 2011

Who doesn't need more robots?

If I doled out love and affection based on who contributed the most around the house, my baby would have to fight pretty hard for a position on my lap. And my husband would have to say sayonara to cuddling in bed because he’d have to move to the guest room.

Who would take their places you ask? This guy:


My Mint Floor Sweeper. That’s right. I might even say that he does more work around the house than I do. When I go out for a cup of coffee, he’s diligently chasing dust bunnies. As I am sitting on the floor building block castles for my toddler to knock down, he’s busy cleaning up the cheerios from breakfast. Long after I go to sleep at night, he’s mopping away so there will be shiny floors waiting for me when I wake up.

The best part is he’s always cheerful about his work. There’s no whining or complaining or procrastinating. He tackles each job with a happy little tune and a series of dancing blue lights. It’s like he’s having a little party for himself each time I tell him to clean the floor. If only my husband reacted the same way when I gave him orders…

When I got my little Mint sweeper, my mother was pretty skeptical. “I just don’t see how a machine is going to clean as well as you would.” Now, let’s be clear that she meant a general “you” not a specific “me.” Anyone who knows how well I clean would never doubt that a machine would do a better job. After all, some cleaning is better than no cleaning.

Anyway, “It can’t possible clean as thoroughly as a human,” she contended. And you know what I said? “Mom, I bet people said the same thing about washing machines and dishwashers when they first came out, but I don’t see you hand-washing your underwear.”

As it turns out, the Mint doesn't just do an ok job; he does a fantastic job.  My floors are cleaner - not just because I clean more often with the Mint, but because it cleans without leaving streaks.  This is something I NEVER managed to do when I cleaned the floor myself.  

I figure if there’s a machine to do my work for me, I’d be crazy not to let it. And since he never expects any affection in return, it’s really a win-win situation. Now, if only I could get my toddler to understand that hugging and kissing the floor cleaning robot is not necessary - and is in fact detrimental to his ability to do his job - we’d be in business.

*Full disclosure: I was not paid in any way to write this post, nor did I receive this product free to review. (I wish!)  I really just like it that much.*

16 comments:

  1. how did I not know this existed?

    Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully embrace our new robot overlords.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Julianna I never knew this sort of thing existed, it's pretty damn cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want one! No, I NEED one! I will definitely be asking Santa for one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of these days that building resentment will crest, and the dawn of the robot apocalypse will be upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can never have enough robots, as long as they're not making their own decisions, of course. I watch sci-fi. I know what will happen. :) I had one of those guys myself, but he kept getting hung up on our area rugs and ending up stuck in corners behind tables. And he banged around off walls waking everyone up at night. I might need to look into a new and different brand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the classes I'm taking is how technology is training humans. Great I'm being trained by my coffee maker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wait wait wait! What all does it do?? I've heard of the Roomba, which vacuums, but you mentioned mopping. I need to know more about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So basically it's an improved Roomba.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I totally need one. The dogs track in so much mud through my kitchen when I let them in (yay for living in the rainy part of the country). What is it???

    ReplyDelete
  11. want one... it should be a give away ...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one, but it's so noisy. Can't anything around here be quiet?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now there needs to be a robot that weeds the garden, washes the windows, sorts the laundry, feeds the dogs... ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yours mops too? Yes please!!! What's it called so I can put it on my Christmas list?

    ReplyDelete