Monday, December 5, 2011

My Special Special is ready to go

Each morning, I wake up and instead of lounging lazily, snuggling with my baby, we rush out of bed and into the bathroom. (And here I thought potty training would make my life easier...) Even before he's done peeing, it starts: "Go, go go! Toot, toot! Go, go, go!"

He's incessant.  He pushes on my legs, leans his whole 25 pound mass against me, and urges me, "Go, go, go!"  He isn't satisfied until I've set up all three of his train tracks, and put the appropriate battery-powered engine on each track.  Then, he sits back and sighs in relief because all is right with the world. 

For the next twelve hours, those little engines will chug around their tracks dutifully.  Throughout the day, he'll go back to them and play for a bit, then he'll wander off.  But if I dare to turn them off, even for a few minutes, he's right back at it, "Go, go, go!  Toot, toot!"

I made the unfortunate mistake of buying a "Talking Thomas" train engine the other day.  Now, the soundtrack of my day consists of, "I'm Thomas, the number one blue engine!" and "Cinders and ashes!"  Then there's this one: "My Special Special is ready to go!"

Perhaps if I'd ever watched Thomas the Tank Engine, I would know why he says such a thing.  But I haven't, and I don't.  Instead, I can only wonder what on earth a "Special Special" is.  And, it could be that I'm slowly losing my mind as a result of the never-ending train noises in my house (or as a result of the anxiety attacks I feel coming on hourly as a result of my completely unresponsive real estate agent...but that's a story for another day), but every time I hear, "My Special Special is ready to go," I can't help but hear some kind of weird, sexual innuendo.  But, on the bright side, it makes me giggle every time!


P.S. Sorry for my long absence, friends.  Life has gotten the best of me these past few weeks, but I'm back.  Hopefully for good!

P.P.S. Thanks to aforementioned trains, we now go through four batteries a day.  A day!  I'll give you one guess what the only thing on my list for Santa will be this year...

11 comments:

  1. I miss being that excited about trains, or anything really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy. It's cool your kid loves trains so much. Glad to see you're back too, I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...you need to go get some rechargable batteries ASAP!

    My son was OBSESSED with Thomas when he little. Actually, he STILL has the Thomas decorations on his bedroom walls, and he's 18! We used to watch Thomas 24/7 around here! I laughed out loud when I read "cinders and ashes," cuz I haven't heard that in ages! Thanks for the laugh, and for the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - that WOULD drive me insane! I'm remembering all the noisy toys we had - the particularly annoying ones we told him were "broken" when the batteries died. Yes, we are heartless parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loved Thomas the Tank Engine. Except he said, "Choo choo! Choo choo!"
    I think I also remember what a "Special Special" is.
    And it has nothing to do with a massage parlor.
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH my. My daughter was ALL ABOUT THOMAS for quite a few years. Which, yes, I know, Thomas is typically a boy thing. We had a train table, ALL the characters (I'm ashamed as to how many I can still name today: Thomas, Percy, Emily, Clarabell, Mean Diesel, Henrietta, Gordon, etc etc).

    You should look into Day Out with Thomas. My daughter LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even know that show was still on. My niece loved it when she was little.
    I hope your husband doesn't come home one day to find you drooling on your pillow, having been driven insane from choo-choo train sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Yep. I remember my brother having tracks and those tiny race cars. Bless your heart. It's going to be okay! Can you take yoga? Helps with relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both of my grandsons LOVE Thomas!
    We had a train table in our house and when we moved it moved with us. I just a couple of weeks ago took it back to where the grandsons are... figured they may as well get use out of it!

    You'll make it through... maybe you need to buy some earplugs?? LOL

    ReplyDelete