Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year's resolutions are for suckers...so here are mine

I was watching one of the New Year's Eve in Times Square specials last week in an effort to keep myself awake until midnight.  Some celebrity or another was interviewing people, and the question was, "What is your New Year's resolution?"

As I listened to what the people were saying, I couldn't help but feel sorry for them.  They all had such high and lofty goals.  And while I'd very much like to see them succeed, the truth is that I wouldn't put my money in their court if we were betting whether or not they'd keep their resolutions.  They were all some variation of this: "I'm going to transform myself into an all-around better person by eating healthy/exercising/spending less time on Facebook/insert life altering choice here."

The problem is that the ideas were so big and undefined...and the results were so dramatic - the very best version of themselves they could imagine.  It's no wonder that most people seem to have given up on their New Year's resolutions before Valentine's Day.

So, my new theory on New Year's resolutions is not to get carried away.  Pick very specific and achievable things.  Then do those.  So here's what I've got on my list for 2012.

1.  Make cheese.  From scratch.  Probably mozzarella.

2. Integrate the use of the phrase "and so on" into everyday speech.  Instead of trailing off when I'm talking to people because I've not formulated an articulate and complete thought, this phrase will make me sound smart and put together...and so on. 

3. Send Birthday cards.  Who doesn't like getting mail?  And, I may be bad at having regular phone calls with friends or even returning emails, but there's nothing like a good, old-fashioned birthday card to let them know that I actually do still like them.

4. Blog better....alright, alright, in terms of "lofty, undefined goals," this one probably tops the charts.  (Good thing my New Year's resolution wasn't to stick to my new theory on New Year's resolutions, right?).  But, it isn't all that unspecific.  You see, last fall, I got really caught up in the numbers game of blogging: How many followers do I have? How many visitors do I get in a week? What's my Klout score? Has anyone mentioned me on Twitter in the last twelve minutes? Have I read all 586 blogs in my Google Reader? Have I responded to each and every person who comments on my posts and made a relatively thoughtful comment back on their post - even if it means I don't actually have time to write on my own blog today?

And...perhaps not surprisingly...I got totally burned out.  Blogging wasn't fun.  It became a task and a chore.  I forgot that the reason I started blogging was just to write, and it didn't matter whether anyone read what I had to say or not.  So, that's what I want to do: just write.  Hopefully I'll entertain or inspire along the way.  Hopefully I'll repair the bloggy friendships I damaged when I abandoned the blog world all at once.  Hopefully I'll make even more friends.  But, mostly, I just want an outlet. 

So, I apologize in advance if you leave a comment and I don't comment back.  Know that I appreciate each and every one of you who reads  what I have to say.  And I do read your blogs.  You guys are awesome.

Alright, enough blabbering for today.  How about you: Did you make any New Year's resolutions?

18 comments:

  1. This titles actually awesome haha. I like your blogging as it is already but good luck with your resolutions anyway! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to make goals throughout the year, so while I see the appeal of using a new year as a refreshing start, I find myself dreading New Year's Resolutions more than I should for any goal. Like you said, they become lofty. So I've made goal setting a weekly process. I have longer-termed goals, definitely, but I find if I make it a habit, rather than a yearly ritual, I get more of them done :)

    I like your first goal by the way. I hope you blog about how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan to not only add "and so on" to the ends of my sentences. I will also add "and so forth".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Yes. I did.

    1. Check my oil in the car once a month (so the car will run)

    2. Take my diabetes medicine (so my body will run)

    3. Buy at least 2 things a month that are made in the USA (my own secret plot to boost the economy and create jobs)

    So, to recap, car running, no dying, and fix the country's economy. No pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for your "Better at Blogging" post about making cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't make an official resolution but I did start Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. My goal is to stick with it for the full 30 days. I think I've been successful so far because it's for a certain period, rather that just "workout forever." Maybe if I don't call it a resolution I can make it! :-)

    And, as you know since I have an email from you that I still haven't responded to, I am horrible about responding to email too. I will never have hard feelings about no responses! :-)

    (And maybe, just maybe, I'll respond to your email today! Here's hoping! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us go through a bloggy burnout at least once. I think getting it fun is key. I try not to be a sucky blog friend, but mostly I try not to stress out about blogging. I'm just glad to see you're posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My resolution is to visit your blog more. Even if you don't write anything new :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww..I'm so sorry you got burned out. I was worried about you for awhile, but I understand the burnout completely. Just don't quit writing, you are far too talented for that.

    ReplyDelete