Thursday, September 6, 2012

Will you be the next Blogger Idol?

This time last year, I was in the midst of the Blogger Idol madness.  Though, I don't mean madness in a bad way.  The competition was intense and crazy and frustrating. But it was also rewarding and fun and amazing.


Blogger Idol made me do a lot of soul searching.  At times, I relied on total strangers (though, they certainly aren't strangers any more) for my strength to keep competing.  I made connections with some amazing people who continue to inspire me.  I learned how to take constructive criticism (and sometimes just plain ol' criticism) but not lose myself in the process.

And now, it's time for someone else to have a turn.  Auditions are officially open.  And I really hope you will consider tossing your hat in the ring.  I can't wait to find out who will join me as a Blogger Idol.  Go audition now!

In case you're curious...my audition from last year is below.  But I bet you can do better than that!

When I was eight, I wanted to be a best-selling author. That's my first memory of dreaming of doing something big. Of making a splash. Of being somebody. After a big-name publisher rejected my first masterpiece, I decided to stick to my Lisa Frank diary, kept safely under plastic, purple, butterfly-shaped lock and key.

And so it went. When I was eleven, I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a Broadway star. When I was in college, I wanted to be America's Next Top Model. There was always something in the way, though: I was too young, too tall, too tone-deaf, too nervous.

I went on with life. I got a solid degree, followed by a respectable career. Then, one day, I found myself staring into the eyes of the guy who makes me be my worst critic, but is also my greatest inspiration: my weeks-old son. I felt a little bit like Derek Zoolander staring into a dingy puddle in the gutter asking my reflection, "Who am I?" (Though, my son is a little more beautiful than an oil-smeared, watery reflection of Ben Stiller).

The problem wasn't actually that I don't know who I am. I am a wife, but I'd never cut it in Stepford. I am a mother, but Carol Brady could teach me a thing or two. I like to craft, but I don't hold a candle to Martha Stewart. I find some good deals, but I'm no extreme couponer. I'm a Do-It-Yourself designer and decorator, but Paige Davis would kick my butt in a design-off. I enjoy cooking, but Paula Deen would be embarrassed by some of the things that come out of my kitchen.

 The true problem was that I didn't know what to do with the fact that I'm a lot of things, but I'm not defined by any of them. In the end, what I have to offer is *me.* My genuine - if sometimes cynical - passion for my fairly unremarkable life instead of my singing and dancing. And, so, I write.

On my blog, The Spaghetti Westerner, I like to look at life as entertainment with my loved ones as the characters. Sometimes it's a sitcom, occasionally it's a drama, and there's no shortage of bad reality TV. I want to inspire and to commiserate, to support and to rely, to share and to learn.

Here's the cherry on top: I am so obscure a blogger that you don't even know who I am. After all, isn't that what Idol is about? Taking someone that nobody's ever heard of who pours their heart and soul into what they do with a little bit of talent and a lot of charisma and introducing them to the world?

 It isn't about what I've already done, but what I'm going to do. That's why – even if you don't know it yet – I am your 2011 Blogger Idol.

Yours Truly,
Lisa aka Mama Spaghetti

24 comments:

  1. Love it! Yeah, My audition this yeas isn't all that great, but it's worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger Idol sounds like a really cool concept and I loved your addition too Lisa, I'm going to have to look into this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reread your entry and this part:
    It isn't about what I've already done, but what I'm going to do. That's why – even if you don't know it yet – I am your 2011 Blogger Idol.
    Gave me chills! You really did deserve to win and I know it made you a bit crazy going through it but I'm proud of you for sticking with it and winning it!

    I'll be following along and voting when it starts up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks :) Your support last year seriously meant so much! I don't know if you even know how much you helped me. So thank you!

      Delete
  4. I'm too vanilla on my blog to warrant applying, but I do enjoy reading new bloggers and voting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a solid 50 in my book (or I should say comment) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I truly appreciate that, especially since I know you were in the thick of judging when you read this!

      Delete
  6. What an inspirational audition. I am now even more nervous about auditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your audition is positively brilliant. To be honest I am not even sure what I wrote, but I am certain it could not even be bound in the same book as yours. Not meaning, "Oh, poor me," but, "Wow you!" That 'big-time publisher who turned you down was a fool.

    Congratulations on your 2011 win. While I did not follow the competion, I have no doubt that you were the worthy winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, great audition. I auditioned because I randomly came across it, put a whole 10 minutes of thought into my audition...I didn't realize it was such a big thing in the blogoverse but it seems like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for being a judge this year! Best, Marvelous Mo's Mom (m3)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for being a judge this year! Best, Marvelous Mo's Mom (m3)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your kind words! We really do appreciate everyone who auditioned or who reads and votes during Blogger Idol. It's you guys who make it worth even having the competition!

    ReplyDelete