Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12 Days of Homemade Christmas: Fleece Lollipops


I finally made myself drag our tree out of the basement and put it up in my living room.  I complained.  I procrastinated.  I swore.  But then, I opened the box of ornaments and remembered why I love Christmas (even in years when I am all Grinch-y like this one). 

Every ornament I pulled out of the box put a bigger smile on my face.  Somehow I manage to forget about so many of those little beauties in the 11 months of the year I don't see them.  For me, the magic of Christmas really is the small things.  The little bits of beauty that you get to indulge in this time of year.  It's all in the details.

I will say, though, that sometimes even the little bits of beauty couldn't make up for the terrorist toddler who was "helping" me set up the tree.  It may have taken four times as long, but it was worth it in the end.  The next morning when my son woke up, he came into the living room and his little eyes welled up with tears. 

"Mama.  Is the tree broken?  Does it need batteries?  Is it DEAD??" he said.

"What? Oh...oh, no.  It's not dead.  We just have to plug it in."  His eyes lit up as bright as the lights on that tree when I turned it on.

So, it renewed my commitment to a project I promised myself I would do this month: A series of homemade ornament tutorials.  I promised myself I'd do this to make myself stop and enjoy the little things this year.  And to make myself blog every day in hopes that I'll keep it up (or at least do it more often).

Full disclosure: it was supposed to be 25 days of homemade ornaments...but I procrastinated.  Hey, I'm not perfect.  I figured that 12 was better than nothing, though.  So here we go!

Easy Peasy Fleece Lollipops

These little babies go together so fast.  I made a whole bunch.  I might tie them onto gifts this year for something a little extra special; I like them that much. And, I think older kids could definitely join in on the fun.

To start, you'll need:
  • Fleece (I used red, white, and green.)
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue (or regular glue if you're patient.  I'm not.)
  • Lollipop sticks
  • Ribbon or thread
For each lollipop, you need two strips of fleece.  I actually used a strip of fleece and a strip of white batting because I'm lazy and didn't want to go to the store.

You'll cut the white one a little shorter than the colored one.  I cut mine about 18 inches (white) and 21 inches (colored) long.  You don't have to be exact.  Really, you can't screw this up. Or, go crazy and make them four feet long to make a SUPER GIANT fleece lollipop. (Great....now I kinda want to do that).

Put the pieces one on top of the other and start rolling them up. Just try to keep one edge of the fabric lined up, so you'll get a nice even lollipop.

Keep on rolling 'til you get to the end, then glue the tail down.

Flip 'er over and glue a stick and a loop of thread to the back.  I also glued a fleece circle to the back to hold everything together and give it a nice finished look.

Tie some coordinating ribbon on to jazz up the stick.

And you're done!  See, I told you it was super easy.  Look how cute they are.  I even hang these low enough on the tree where my almost-three-year old can reach them.

Make a whole bunch of them and hang them them on your mantle.

I like mine all in a row.  Sugarplums dancing...on my fireplace.

Alright, tune in tomorrow for another one!

2 comments: