Saturday, December 22, 2012

12 Days of Homemade Christmas: I Spy Christmas


Every now and then, I see "I Spy" bottles around the web: basically a water bottle filled with little treasures and rice. Kids take the bottles and move them around to find (spy) all the different little things inside.  So, I decided to make a Christmas version in a bulb.  I think  it's pretty neat.

First, you gather up all of your objects.  I used a bunch of Christmas buttons and things.

Then, you put them in a clear bulb.  It's worth noting that this is a plastic bulb, not a glass one.  I wouldn't give a two-year-old a glass bulb; I'm not crazy.

Make sure you write a list of all the things in the bulb so your child knows what they're looking for (and so you don't forget).

Then, fill it with rice and put a bow on it.  I didn't fill mine all the way up so there was still room for the rice to move about.  Also, I'd highly recommend hot gluing or super gluing the top onto your ornament so Junior can't pull the top off and pour rice all over your house (or choke on small things).

That's it! For a harder version, you could paint almost the entire bulb, leaving just a window for the kids to find the objects in.  I may do that at some point down the line, but for now, this version works just fine!

That's it!  Pretty easy.  And pretty fun.


15 comments:

  1. This is brilliant and so complicated to dream up despite being a little more simple to make. You've really outdone yourself with this Lisa. Such absolute genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My little guy has had a lot of fun with it so far.

      Delete
  2. So Cute! Where did you find the plastic bu;b?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found it at Wal-Mart. It was actually in the craft section with some Christmas stuff back there, not with the general Christmas stuff.

      Delete