Monday, December 31, 2012

Kitchen Renovation Reveal (Happy New Year!)

I hope you're celebrating the new year in style.  I know am....and I'm about to show you why.

We've been renovating our house for six months.  The dust, the chaos, the mess...

But it's all starting to be worth it.  We're getting to some real results, people.   Results that I feel good enough about to finally share with the world.

Around Thanksgiving, we decided to renovate our kitchen.  It wasn't part of the original plan, but then there was the microwave.  We special-ordered it, but when it came it was all dented.  It was going to take at least another three weeks to get a new one (thank you, living in the middle of nowhere).  Since we had some extra time on our hands, we decided not to skip over fixing all the stuff we were being too lazy to fix in the first place: the counters, the backsplash and the cabinets.

And, since the microwave actually took almost six weeks to come, we ended up having plenty of time to get the rest of our projects done.

Since we weren't planning on doing the renovation this year, we had to keep costs as low as we could.  The counter tops were definitely the biggest ticket item in the renovation, but we only spent about $500 on the rest of the renovation: the backsplash, the paint, etc.  If new counters aren't in your budget, there are always other options; you just have to think a little out of the box.  I tried stainless steel paint on my laundry counter tops last year and really liked how they came out.

Before

Now for some pictures. The previous owners had this two-tone yellow and white thing going on with the cabinets.  And some truly hideous orange splotchy paint.

They'd also replaced the door fronts with plexiglass and then used do-it-yourself stick-on car window tinting film in the darkest black they could find.  It was not a good choice.
  

This is what the stove looked like after almost TWO HOURS of scrubbing and scraping. 

 Someone had no idea how to install tiles. 

The worst part was their cabinet paint job.  They did absolutely no prep work.  They didn't even bother to clean them before they painted.  There were hairs and globs of food painted into the cabinets.  Memorialized for all of eternity under the pastel yellow latex.  Nasty.

After

So, I painstakingly sanded, scraped, cleaned, primed and painted them.  They're not perfect but they're SO much better than before.  We also pulled out the plexiglass and replaced it with some thin wood panels.

We tore out the old tile counters and their pink, green and purple stained grout and replaced them with Zodiaq quartz counters in white.

We pulled down the backsplash they'd made out of floor tiles that stuck out a full inch from the wall, and put in pretty glass tiles in a color I like to call Tiffany Blue.  It's subtle and chic and shiny.

 I love my cooking nook.  It makes me actually want to cook since my kitchen might be my favorite room in my house.

I also love my teapot.

Here are some proper before-and-after shots, so you can see just what a big difference it makes.
Do you see the window tinting film peeling off?






It's so bright and lovely.  And looking at these pictures reminds me just how far we've come.

Now, it's time to tackle the bathrooms.

48 comments:

  1. This looks so amazing from the before and after photos Lisa, great post, I'm glad to hear that you got it all sorted out and love it so much as well, it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The before and after images even surprised me a little, and I knew what to expect!

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic! My kitchen reno is coming along slowly... that is, I haven't really started it yet. :) But I LOVE your magnetic spice containers... and think I have just the perfect place for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Juli! I know that feeling.

      The spice containers are super handy. I love them.

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous! Great job. Can't wait to see the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I did my bedroom this summer. The kitchen will get done in the next couple years. Unfortunately I will have to tear my walls apart and replace everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh...that is no fun. But, I'm sure it will be beautiful and well worth it in the end!

      Delete
  5. Who knows what they were doing behind those tinted windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great job! Certainly a nice way to start the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Spaghetti, the kitchen looks GORGEOUS!! I'm so impressed that you guys did that yourselves. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've learned about our DIY skills that we can usually make things turn out ok...it just takes a lot longer than it would if a professional were to do it. But that's alright.

      Delete
  8. WOW! What an amazing transformation!! You are doing amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad to finally have something worth sharing with you guys!

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a before and after. Bravo! You are inspiring me to get my kitchen done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! I have faith! Definitely share pictures when you're done.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Beautiful! Renos are pretty exciting. I love your commercial grade gooseneck faucet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's definitely one of my favorite parts, too.

      Delete
  11. Every work in this post is very impressive and designs are superb. You choose a perfect color of paint and design for this Kitchen Renovations. I will use this type of Kitchen designs for my Kitchen Renovations Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just want to say that I LOVE that you didn't have that little backsplash that is usually attached to the countertop!!! My kitcchen is also my next project....(Pinterest has helped with some ideas) hehe.

    Just want to say good job and I love what you did!!!

    marianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually had to really argue with the countertop installer...he wanted to put the little backsplash thing on, and I absolutely did not want it.

      I think it looks so much cleaner with the backsplash coming all the way down to the countertops. I'm glad you like it, too!

      Delete
  13. Wow! I can't believe you did all of that yourselves! It's truly stunning. I love the backsplash, what a great color and the whole kitchen seems so much bigger. I really like the fake grass dish holder. Did you make that or where did you get it? That might be my favorite thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And you're so right about it feeling bigger.

      The grass dish holder is made by Boon, and it's called the Lawn. It's technically a baby bottle dryer, but I think it works great for dishes. There are two sizes, and I think I have the larger one. I know Target sells it online, but I'm not sure if they sell it in stores. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I mail order most of my stuff!

      Delete
  14. Wow this looks great when you redid the backsplash did you replace the drywall? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't replace the drywall...though it did require some patching.

      Delete
  15. Where is the gooseneck faucet from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually came from Home Depot, I think it was only about $150, which was really reasonable.

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there! I just found your blog. Your kitchen's lay out and cabinets are exactly like ours! I want to do the same thing you did. What primer and paint did you use? Also, where did you get the hardware for the cabinet hinges? Your kitchen looks great! Thanks in advance for any advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a primer called Zinsser 123 Bullseye. It was water based. Then we used a water-based Behr paint in a creamy white color.

      The only store we have here is Home Depot, so I get pretty much all my products there.

      I did sand or scrape the cabinets before painting them, and I cleaned them really well. So far, they've held up great.

      Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  19. I seriously love your website.. Great colors & theme.
    Did you create this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my very own blog and would like to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is called. Thank you!

    Take a look at my site - monzogc.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you tell me exactly what color/brand that blue tile backsplash is? That is exactly what I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of the most beautiful kitchen makeovers I have seen in a while. So pretty!


    Kitchen Cabinets Cleveland
    Cleveland Dining Room Furniture


    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this post!Your kitchen is stunning and It's so bright and lovely.

    Kitchen Cabinets Parker
    Denver Dining Room Furniture

    ReplyDelete
  23. amazing transformation! You did a great job! and I like all the pictures which are shown in this blog.

    Kitchen Remodel Santa Fe
    Kitchen Cabinet Albuquerque

    ReplyDelete