Sunday, April 14, 2013

I can't wait to eat a sandwich six and a half months from now

I've been MIA for a while, but I've got a really good reason.  I'll let Little Spaghetti fill you in on a little secret:

That's right!  I'm pregnant.

And sick.  Oh, so sick.  Which (hopefully) excuses my prolonged absence.

I was sick during my first pregnancy, but I'd forgotten what it was like.  I've started picking what I eat based solely on what it will taste like coming up instead of going down.  For the record, smoothies almost always win in the "Most Pleasant to Puke Up" category.  Kiwis and sunflower seeds lose.

It's not even just being sick that gets to me, though.  It's how much smells and tastes change.  Things I used to enjoy repulse me.  I can't even sit at the table with my husband when he eats hot salsa from a certain burrito place in town without gagging.  And never m ind kissing him for the next eight hours unless he goes to the dentist for a professional cleaning in the meantime.

While I was pregnant with Little Spaghetti, I was sick almost all the way through.  But after I delivered him, food was like magic.  In fact, one of my clearest and fondest memories of my birth experience involves a sandwich.  (That really shouldn't surprise anyone who knows about my sandwich obsession, though)

After Little Spaghetti was born and I'd had some time to hold and nurse him, they whisked him away to get bathed and checked out.  My husband, naturally, went with him.  A nurse helped me get cleaned up and then brought me to our postpartum room.

And then, it was just me.  It was the strangest quiet, peaceful quiet.  I was all alone.  No baby in my belly.  No labor chaos.  No family and friends.

I looked over and saw a wrapped Jimmy John's sandwich laying on the bedside table.  I didn't think about how it had gotten there.  To this day, I don't know who the angel was that brought me that sandwich.  But I assumed it was safe, and that it was for me, so I dug right in.

Let me tell you, that sandwich was probably the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in my life.  I'm not exaggerating.  It wasn't even a type of sandwich I liked, and it had toppings on it that I would never order.  Maybe it was the fact that I was ravenous after one of the most physically exhausting things I'd ever done - giving birth.  Maybe it was the fact that I'd only had broth and jello for 24 hours straight.  Maybe it was the fact that the hormones were finally draining from my body.  All I know is that it. Was. Heaven.

Nothing has tasted that good since.

So, I'm counting down until the birth of this babe.  You know, 'cuz I'm excited to have a baby and all.  But also, because I can't wait until food tastes good again.  There's a sandwich with my name on it waiting for me in October.  You can count on it.

18 comments:

  1. Love the story about the sandwich and I really wish you all the best in this pregnancy Lisa, it's awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! And, I love a good sandwich too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And eat a sandwich this week and think of me. It's a cruel thing that they tell pregnant ladies not to eat deli meat. Or at least not cold deli meat, but sub sandwiches just aren't the same heated up...no matter what subway says.

      Delete
  3. Congrats!!! And yes, I suspect there will be a sandwich in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahooooooooo Congratulations!!! Here's hoping and praying for another healthy baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You know, on the baby part, not the vomiting and involuntary gagging thing.)

    So happy for you!! xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) And thank you for excluding gagging and vomiting from your congratulations because nobody should ever be congratulated on those things!

      Delete
  6. Hooray! That's so exciting! Here's to not puking the Whole time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so. I also hope you're doing well as mama of two now!!

      Delete