Thursday, August 29, 2013

Panic. And Fall.

It's August 29th.  Do you know what that means?  It's almost September.  The past couple of mornings have been chilly.  Almost sweater chilly.  Given my tendency to feel like melting and dying lately, the change in weather is more than welcome.  Even though we're still hitting 90 degrees in the middle of the day, the cool mornings remind me that summer (like pregnancy) will not go on forever, even if it feels that way most days.

But then, I realize that it's almost fall, and that this baby will be here in 7 - 9 weeks.  Roughly.  And that I'm considered full-term in a mere 27 days.  That's when they tell you, "It could be any day now!"  Which, in reality, is just a cruel joke when a woman ends up going 2 weeks overdue, but that's another issue entirely.

Hence, the panic.  I'm not really panicking.  Actually, I've finally started to get flickers of real excitement and anticipation about this baby coming.  But there's still so much to do.  Including set up a nursery, which she will not sleep in...ever, if she's anything like her brother.  So, while I know she doesn't need a nursery, I do.  And I'm an irrational pregnant lady, so I'm allowed to demand things that like.

The only problem is that the nursery is currently the guest bedroom.  And the room that needs to be the guest bedroom is...well, not in any shape for guests.  That's for sure.  The beauty of panic, though, is that it gets things done.


See?  Photographic evidence that I'm not as lazy and useless at almost 34 weeks pregnant as I feel.  And, if my mudding and taping job on this drywall isn't perfect, I can blame it on my lack of balance and flexibility thanks to my ever-expanding bump.  And the fact that my hips feel like they're trying to run away from my spine. 

But, we're one step closer to checking one more thing off the to-do list, so it'll be worth it in the end, right?

And then there's the matter of preparing to actually get this baby out of my body.  I have a lot of thoughts about birth. Hopefully I can sit and share them soon.  If for no other reason than to get my own feelings straight.  I've been reading the Birth Without Fear Blog a lot lately.  It's helping.  I hate that "fear" even has any place in birth (or pregnancy or motherhood), but the sad reality is that there are lots of people in this world who - whether they mean to or not - scare pregnant ladies about what's right or wrong or best for your baby.  Or, at least, they scare me. 

So, until I can write it all out, do any of you have birth stories to share (or link to)?  The more I can read, the more prepared I feel.  I love birth stories.  Is that weird?

15 comments:

  1. I have been following your blog since earlier this year and love how "REAL" it is. Not all butterflies and rainbows...just real life...real stuff...real mom!

    Anyways...I typically dont leave comments but when I was pregnant with my son reading others birth stories was SO helpful to me, that I thought I would leave you a link to my blog where I documented my own Labor and Delivery Story. Enjoy and Good Luck!!

    http://freemanfamblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/labor-and-delivery.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing! I loved reading your birth story :)

      Delete
  2. This is really exciting news I can understand why it must be causing panic just realising how close it is to coming around, time just flies by for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! I wish I could slow it down sometimes. And then Little Spaghetti wakes up from a nap...Haha!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Lisa! So many good thoughts! I can't believe I lost track of your blog! I'm reading K's now, and enjoying that ~ she referred me back to yours. I can relate to the hot summer - Elaine was due Oct. 31 - I was glad she held out till Nov. 3 :)
    I have five birth stories, if you want to hear them sometime :) But the thing I remember that helped me the most in labor, was to picture my body just opening up to allow that little person make their entrance into the world. That imagery (and we can talk about it more in person sometime) helped me gasp through the contractions better.
    I feel badly that I haven't seen you in forever! Continue to take care of yourself and Little Donalson - love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would absolutely love to hear your birth stories! Maybe we can get together for tea one of these mornings! I will text you :)

      Delete
  4. You better be careful on the ladder missy! My Hubs won't even let me look at a ladder, let alone get on one! LOL

    Runt
    runtspickins@yahoo.com
    www.runtspickins.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It's not a *real* ladder, it's just a step stool. And my husband does do most of the stuff that requires climbing, unless I'm feeling super impatient while he's at work.

      Delete
  5. Well hey, I'm in project mode too with the boys bedroom painting it, so I can totally relate to this post, but I didn't do it pregnant. That was my husband's job. So kuddos to you for getting on that ladder and making it happpen. My friend Kera just had a baby girl and will be sharing her birth story soon. But if you'd like to read about mine with my second you can check that out here: http://www.mommyonlyhas2hands.org/2011/12/braidens-birth-story.html

    Heather

    ReplyDelete