Wednesday, September 18, 2013

36 Weeks: Things are about to get real

 

I feel like you deserve a warning.  I hope you'll stick with me through it, but things are about to get real up in here.  Deep and thoughtful and introspective with lots of feelings and whatnot.  You see, I'm 36 weeks pregnant now.  Which means that a baby will be born in the next 0 - 6 weeks.  Out of my body.

So, I've been working out all my stuff.  My thoughts and fears. My residual mommy guilt about my last delivery.  My hopes and plans and hesitations about the upcoming delivery.  My feelings about labor in general and my frustrations about birth options (or lack thereof).

Writing is how I work it out.  I promise the sarcastic and (sometimes?) witty me is still in here.  She'll be back soon (probably right after you say to yourself, "Geez...really? Another post about labor?  Is that all this woman thinks about - birthing babies?  Get a life already.").  But I've got to get mentally prepared to push this baby out of my body soon and welcome her into our lives.

Hopefully you don't start to feel like my therapist over the next couple weeks.  Or, if you do, at least don't send any bills.   I'll try to keep the TMI to a minimum, but really, when pregnancy is involved, it sort of just comes with the territory.

For instance, how can I not share that my doctor told me that my cervix is very soft and about 50% effaced at my check-up yesterday?  I know it doesn't really mean much, but I think I was only 30% effaced when I went in to be induced at 42 weeks last time. (To be honest, until the end of my last pregnancy, I didn't even know effacement was a thing).  That's got to be a good sign, right?

And, while my feet were up in the stirrups for said cervical check, the doctor said, "You have a blister on your foot, huh?  That's a pretty neat band-aid."  For the record, it had minions on it, so it was a pretty neat bandaid.  Nothing like small talk with your OB when he's all up in your business, right?

So, buckle up.  Four(ish) weeks to go.

16 comments:

  1. Ah, so excited! For both the upcoming blog posts and for Littlest Spaghetti. And now I'm going to go google "effacement" because I have no idea what that even means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good things to learn in pregnancy, aren't there?

      Delete
  2. That's a great picture! And I, too, share way too much, but I don't have pregnancy to blame, so feel free to blurt things out as you need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there will be blurting! Though, most of my favorite bloggers tend to overshare, so I don't know why I worry about it.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to hear all about your thoughts and feelings throughout this pregnancy Lisa, you look incredible by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm starting to get excited to share all these things finally.

      Delete
  4. Talk all you want about pregnancy. Mine was only 7 months ago and I loved being pregnant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty amazing thing, being pregnant. And it seems like it goes by so fast.

      Delete