Thursday, September 12, 2013

Can you touch your toes?

One of the things people always warned me about during pregnancy was getting to the point that you can't reach your feet.  But, honestly, it never bothered me during my first pregnancy.  I mean, really, how many times a day do you really need to reach your feet?  Only a few.  And most of that can be avoided by wearing flip flops or ballet flats that just slip on.

Sure, there's the occasional desperate need to shave the very back of your calves that proves to be a challenge.  But even that can be bypassed with a good pair of opaque tights and an understanding husband.

But do you know what is way worse than not being able to reach your feet?  Not being able to reach your three-year-old's feet.  I never realized how many occasions there were that required me to bend all the way to the ground to help him.

Let me give you a run-down:
  • When he gets dressed in the morning.
  • Every time he has to pee.
  • Every time he has to poop.
  • Every time he says he has to poop and then doesn't.  And then decides two minutes later that he really does.
  • When he steps on the legos he never picks up and needs a kiss to fix his owie.
  • When he needs a change of clothes because they're muddy, covered in paint or doused in chocolate milk.
  • When he stubs his toe and needs a kiss to fix his owie.
  • Every time there's a string in his sock that's bothering him.
  • When he goes outside.
  • When he comes inside.
  • When he scrapes his foot on something while he's flailing around like a crazy person (just one of his favorite ways to pass the time) and needs a kiss to fix his owie.
  • When you tell him to put his own shoes on because you can't stand to bend all the way down yet another time, and he -inevitably- puts them on the wrong feet.
  • When he takes off his shoes for no reason and then has a melt-down because his shoes aren't on....
I'm sure I could go on.


Do you see how impossibly far away those precious little feet look?  So very far away.  (And yes, my belly really is that lopsided.  All the time.)

And here's the best part of this whole situation.  Today, when I told him to put his shoes on so we could leave the house, he said in his whiniest voice, "Mommy!!! I can't. My belly hurts too much, and I can't put them on."

Now he's using my own whiny excuses against me.  I don't know how I will possibly survive the next five weeks.  Send reinforcements.

16 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I wouldn't have thought about the toe touching complication if you hadn't posted this. I only have one child :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much it's getting to me this time around, when last time it didn't bother me at all!

      Delete
  2. But yeah, that comment about his belly hurting, made my belly hurt from laughing so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously in trouble with this kid...he's only three and already turning my weaknesses around on me!

      Delete
  3. I adore your lopsided belly!! That is the BEST!

    When I was pregnant with Babe I would make Bud sit on something high (we had a tall stool in our hallway for just that purpose) so I didn't have to bend down...all the time anyway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too! It makes me smile.

      That's a good idea. I wish I had room for something like that. Up until recently, it wasn't too bad if I sat on the floor with him. But even that's uncomfortable now. And, when I'm done, I can't get up!

      Delete
  4. My belly is lopsided that way too!!

    Runt
    runtspickins@yahoo.com
    www.runtspickins.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite true actually Lisa, I'd never thought of how awkward it would be to chase after a toddler without being able to bend down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bell was lopsided a lot when I was pregnant. Every time Gwen would switch position, I'd look different.
    I am so glad I stuck with one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder how I'll ever manage two. It's a little too late for that now, though, I suppose!

      Delete
  7. My belly was lopsided, too! Too funny. I remember thinking those things when I was preggo with my 2nd. So much bending over with a toddler. GAH. Sometimes I'd just give up, sit on the floor, and not get up for an hour because I was too tired to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I love it!

      I've definitely become friends with the floor lately. This weekend, I took a 90 minute nap right on the hardwood floor. My ribs and hips did not thank me for that one, though...

      Delete
  8. Wow, I've been AWOL for a while, so I have a lot of catching up to do around here. =) Congrats!

    One of the funniest memories from the day I gave birth had to do with touching my feet. I hadn't been able to do it for months. (I spent the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy on bed rest) The day I went to the hospital (note that I didn't say "the day my son was born." Oy! That's a whole other story!) my water didn't burst dramatically like it always does on TV. It was leaking, which made me think I was peeing on myself. Good times, good times...Every time I stood up, it would dribble a bit. Well, without giving you all (the rest of) the gory details, by the time I got dressed to leave for the hospital, enough fluid had leaked out that I could reach my feet to put my shoes on. I remember literally yelling out, "Holy crap, I can reach my feet!!" How crazy, right?

    Ok, off to read the next few posts I missed. =)

    ReplyDelete